SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seriously, this is really causing me some problems. I've rebuilt this engine - again, and it still makes this noise! (Rebuilt this time because #4 piston broke )
I have NOT been able to figure this out. In the video you can hear the lifter noise, but there is a deeper lower pitched sound. I can't hear the noise for the first 20 seconds or so on cold startup. After that it seems to somewhat come and go.
If you know what this noise is - please, before I lose any more hair, tell me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiTy6ovZHAI&feature=youtu.be
It has been driven around 200 miles since assembly.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pistons 3 and 4 are new. Cylinder 4 was just relined. Pistons were measured, as well as bores, and all are good.
This is frustrating the crap out of me!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had noise similar to that that turned out to be my exhaust manifold gasket. However, I had the noise on cold start and it went away after a minute of running. Just a thought.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I know that sound all too well! Piston is making contact with something. Had that happen a few times on my Saturns. Because it's so solid, I'd say it's on the one of the terminus ends of the stroke, either full up, or full down.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Obviously the engine is fairly hard to turn with a ratchet, with the plugs still in. I noticed that even with the plugs out, it is still hard to turn. That wasn't the case before I installed the engine.
So I'm taking the engine back out now. Oil pan is off and I can find nothing out of the ordinary.
Open to suggestions and advice.

·
Registered
756 Posts
What about the crank shaft bearings? Did you have to go with over-sized main and rod bearings? Also what about the wrist pin bearings?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Only wristpin bearing that was replaced was the one where the piston broke. All crank and rod bearings were replaced (rods are the only ones that are oversized) All were plastigaged and were at proper clearances.
I'm telling you, I took a long time to put this thing together and tried to make sure every nut, bolt, clip, or pin was right.
I even made a fitting to screw into the head, and I back filled the oil system so that there was no time to wait for it to prime or fill the filter.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the same sound right now. It's okay to drive it until I have a chance to get it looked at right? :confused:

Btw, Addie is a great singer. ;ol;

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I have the same sound right now. It's okay to drive it until I have a chance to get it looked at right? :confused:

Btw, Addie is a great singer. ;ol;
Thanks! I think she does awesome for a 1st grader! I may be a little biased though. I think I know where she gets it - this is my stepson:

Yea, my car was making the same, or at least a VERY similar noise before. This is what it was last time:

yes the groove is that deep.

So now # 4 has a new cylinder sleeve in it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
update:
Engine is out. Oil pan is off. Head is off.
I still see no signs of anything wrong.
Tomorrow, I hope to continue disassembly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My car makes a similar noise, but not as bad. Maybe its the belts, or a pulley is loose. I remember it didn't start making that noise till after a bunch of stuff got fixed on my car. But I am making a guess and thinking the problem has to deal with the belts or maybe camshaft belts. Edit: Is your problem the knocking or the ticking?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The knock is the problem.
....I have another 9-5, and in this video I had just taken the cams and lifters out of the other one and put in this one. The other one had not been started in weeks - so the lifters probably just need to be run for a while.

G

·
i had a balencer shaft fail on another car, it caused a rod knock. balencer shaft could be the issue here, but again im not sure just throwing it out there

·
Registered
7,969 Posts
There have been numerous reports of people just taking out the balancer shaft chains and running without them. you need to leave the shafts in to keep the oil from squirting out (inside the engine) and lowering the oil pressure.

From what's been said here, there seems to be minimal impact on vibration in the engine with the balance shafts disabled.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts