SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in the final stages of buying a 99 9-5 wagon. Seller states that its a 4 cyl 2.3l without a turbo, but that the original owner (he's the second) said he had some upgrade done to the motor when he bought it that would increase performance similar to a turbo.... can you have a 2.3l non -turbo, does this make sense to anyone, and what would that upgrade be?

Anything in particular I should be looking at as far as issues, especially things that can't be "seen", in this model?

I'm new to this Saab stuff, love the car and it seems to be in great shape, had it checked and all appears very good

Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
All 9-5's have turbos ;)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Lpt?

May be the car is with Low Pressure Turbo,and the dummy dealer mess up 9000 and 9-5 models?

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Or maybe the seller is a lying toe rag who would say anything to try to sell the car. Caveat emptor and all that.

·
Registered
312 Posts
never seen a 9-5 without turbo....only 9000.hmmm

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had another look - says 2.3t on the top of the engine - pretty good sign that its a turbo , I think. I have the service records, manuals ( although they don't get into nitty gritty about turbo that I could find), but everything indicates it's a 9-5, and that its bween pretty well looked after.The other thing I don't know about is this linnear, arc, aero stuff...not sure which this is.... there are engine series #s under the hood...I supect that would that indicate something, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
"Initially available in base and SE forms, a top-of-the-line Aero model was added in 2000. Then in 2002, Saab altered the 9-5 nomenclature completely to include the base Linear and mid-level Arc, with Aero maintaining its place at the top of the heap."

So your 1999 should be either base model or SE. SE could have either V6 or I4.

All 9-5s are turbocharged. Base 2.3l 9-5 I4 in 1999 was 170hp. Owner may have upgraded engine with one of Saab's ECU upgrades to 185hp or so. Not really up on what upgrades were available that year. There was a 200hp upgrade available for the base model (LPT) in 2000.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MacNoob said:
"Initially available in base and SE forms, a top-of-the-line Aero model was added in 2000. Then in 2002, Saab altered the 9-5 nomenclature completely to include the base Linear and mid-level Arc, with Aero maintaining its place at the top of the heap."

So your 1999 should be either base model or SE. SE could have either V6 or I4.

All 9-5s are turbocharged. Base 2.3l 9-5 I4 in 1999 was 170hp. Owner may have upgraded engine with one of Saab's ECU upgrades to 185hp or so. Not really up on what upgrades were available that year. There was a 200hp upgrade available for the base model (LPT) in 2000.
I think your right, I was thinking its the base from what i read , I4 I expect, not sure what differentiates base from SE, though. Read some other posts about the EPU upgrade so expect you are correct there as well.. still has a turbo though

Thanks for all this.... decision day later today...appreciate any additional comments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts