SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wonered how hard it would be to put a 2.3 9-5 engine into a '98 9-3 has anyone done it.i know they basicly same as the vig engine.would it be easyer to put a engine from a wrecked vig in ???? (more thinking of the wireing than the mechanical side of it)

any takers ???

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
it would be a lot easier from a viggen (espically if you have a t-7 car too bad you dont), but dont stop at just the 9-5 why not the 9000 aero engine? :D

edit: if you do most of the work yourself, it might be worth it... but if you think about it you could buy a 9000 aero for about ~4500 dollars

if you have the funds for it and the motovation to go through with it then i'd say go for it

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
TheGodSon93 said:
just wonered how hard it would be to put a 2.3 9-5 engine into a '98 9-3 has anyone done it.i know they basicly same as the vig engine.would it be easyer to put a engine from a wrecked vig in ???? (more thinking of the wireing than the mechanical side of it)

any takers ???
What year 9-5 though? A T7 engine won't fit in your car since yours has a T5 engine in it.

You're better off getting an engine from a 9000 turbo (T5) for the swap. You need to do some work to make it fit perfectly but nothing major. You'll have to swap parts like the oil pan for example.

Here's a thread on that that may help you
http://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14013

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
a viggen engine would fit, it's just that youll need more parts

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
I swapped a B205R into my 97 NG900 in 2003 (same block and head as the B235R, but slightly different pistons)

It was a complete waste of time and money. I learned a lot, but I ended up taking the engine back out about a year later and selling the engine for exactly what I bought it for.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Bigsky said:
Mike,

The B235 is a B205 with a larger bore and identical stroke right?
I think it's the other way around: 90mm bore for both, but shorter stroke for the B205R.

In all other respects, they're nearly identical...but some sources have the B205R with a significantly lower CR...

EDIT....adding this too: The lower CR is what really sold me on the B205R engine, as I knew about the piston issues for the Viggen and 9-5 Aero but I figured that the lower comp ratio on the B205R would be a nice bit of cushion in case I did something silly...

...and the "205 bhp" quoted from the factor is under-rated by 5-10 hp....:cheesy:

·
Registered
112 Posts
the b**5 series engines are not as strong as the b**4 series engines. the only difference between your b204l and the 2.3 is the longer stroke crank with different rods and pistons. all you need to make your b204l a b234 is the crank, rods and pistons from any 9000 turbo engine from 94my onwards as these will fit straight into your engine. this bottom end is good for about 400bhp with standard pistons where as the later 5 series pistons are only good for about 320bhp and the block is also weaker but only at serious bhp.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no havent started anything yet was just wondering as my local scrappy might be getting a rear end smashed vig and the engine is sweet as and it helps when your girlfriends brother worked there for 9 years and they are family friends that own the scrappy lol....

thought it could be done just checking but not sure as funds are tight at the moment....

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
TheGodSon93 said:
no havent started anything yet was just wondering as my local scrappy might be getting a rear end smashed vig and the engine is sweet as and it helps when your girlfriends brother worked there for 9 years and they are family friends that own the scrappy lol....

thought it could be done just checking but not sure as funds are tight at the moment....
I recall asking a mech if it was do-able and he didn't think it was...

Something about the head being fly-by-wire or some such.

The block's are not that great to begin with...

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Don't put an Ecotec in your 900...
Just get a 9000Aero motor, and put it in. direct swap; almost literally.

The T7 are drive-by-wire.. but I'm sure you could put an old mechanical TB/manifold on there....

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
since you still have a T-5 9-3 the 9000aero engine would still be easier to swap

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
yeah...am wondering weather just to carry on moding the engine i got now cuz of all the work i have done so far.....

just thought it would be worth it as the 2.3 is alot more torque in it??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts