SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so just as the title says, my newly acquired $100 93 900-S with a broken trans won't run. I narrowed it down to an ignition system problem. it seems that the CPS is not sending signals to the ignition amp / EZK. It cranks strong, has fuel but won't fire the plugs. here is the question... would I be able to take a distributor out of an 88 900-S, check over my wire diagrams and re-wire it so that the hall sensor in the distributor would replace the one in the crank shaft? I'm sure everyone knows these are not exactly easy to replace... Would be nice to have a solution to the CPS issues the 2.1 liter cars always seem to have rather than having one more component that could fail at any moment!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Hi there,

Considering what the EZK box has to do, Timing, knock sense and correction, dwell correction and offset and injection trigger to LH unit, I would believe that to use the dissy hall sensor would be to introduce a small amount of mechanical error to the timing accuracy.
Dist pulse derived from dist shaft, shaft coupled to camshaft (small amount of give there), camshaft to timing chain, timing chain to crankshaft (timing chain stretches subtly under various rpms?) VERSES pulse directly from crankshaft.
YES YES YES, it is a pain in the rectal region to change the CPS, went through that task last month.
I tend to think of the engine as a servo. And in the case of the EZK, to introduce a little more timing error would be adding to the error correction it has compensate for.
Still, it may make no difference at all. I'm trying to think from a purist's point of view.

Good Luck

Cheers

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well they are both hall sensors regardless if they are on the crank or on the distributor, as far as I know the signal both make are exactly the same. the EZK ignition worked just fine running off the distributor signal on 86-89 900-S models, so why not in later cars? also as far as the "stretch effect" I think it is you are trying to indicate, this does happen with a unit that's running off a chain that can wear in time. however a CPS will always be constant. simply re-setting the timing every 75K or so should take care of that. I am going to look into this further tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts