SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made my monthly junkyard journey and came across a couple of 2.1L 900s. I remember hearing that the intake manifold off this car is a desired part. The fact that I had two 2.1 donor cars made so excited that I bought them on the spot(just the intakes) .

My question is, did i make a mistake or can i make use of these intakes?

(I have a 93 2.0 turbo)

·
Registered
604 Posts
You did a good buy, the only thing is, that you dont gain much with just the intake. Before it really can come in use, is when you get a 2.3 head on too!

·
Registered
569 Posts
good catch!
the intakemanifolds are the hardest to find. But you need a B212/B234long head to make the most of it. You can do a port match but it wont do any bigger change.

·
Registered
429 Posts
You should have gotten the B212 head aswell! :p

The 2.1L intake would make a for a nice mod hope to see it on your car soon

·
Registered
310 Posts
Turbo9k said:
My question is, did i make a mistake or can i make use of these intakes?
you did not make a mistake provided the 2.1 intake manifolds are from a later c900 - i think 1990 or later.

i pulled two off at a parts yard before figuring that one out. both were earlier, which are identical to the intake manifolds found on all 2.0's

the one issue with using the larger 2.1 intake manifold is that it can end up being quite a bit larger than the intake runners on the cylinder head. the difference in sizing can give the incoming air a bit of a wall that it runs into just before entering the head. the turbulence created by forcing the air past this 'wall' that has been created could, potentially, decrease the amount of air/fuel that you are able to introduce into the engine.

as mentioned, this problem becomes negligible when running a 2.1 or 2.3 head... or gasket match porting your 2.0

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Jokke A said:
As said, you should get a 2.1 head too. If I recall, the 2.1 intake manifold has a bit larger channels than 2.0 T16 original, this would leave a step as the holes in the head are smaller. I'd imagine this is not too god for the airflow.
Is a 2.1 head a drop-in replacement for the standard 2.0 head, assuming that the intake manifold would also be getting changed to suit? There was a 2.1 intake manifold up on Ebay just recently...

On a side-front, would a 2.1 or 2.3 head work with a the standard block under a 2.0 head without changing any of the control electronics in the car? Are things like timing chains, etc. different for the 2.1 or 2.3 heads?

Craig.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Port matching?

Can you match port 2.0 stock head to the 2.1 intake while head is on the car assuming you use carbide tools by hand?

TIA

·
Registered
310 Posts
c900 said:
Is a 2.1 head a drop-in replacement for the standard 2.0 head, assuming that the intake manifold would also be getting changed to suit? There was a 2.1 intake manifold up on Ebay just recently...

On a side-front, would a 2.1 or 2.3 head work with a the standard block under a 2.0 head without changing any of the control electronics in the car? Are things like timing chains, etc. different for the 2.1 or 2.3 heads?

Craig.
i do believe the 2.1 head is a drop in replacement, only the 2.3 requires some work/mods done to the timing chain cover to make it fit. the electronics would stay the same, but some boost adjustments would certainly be required. i believe the timing chain and sprockets are all universal between the 2.0, 2.1, 2.3 heads - someone please correct me if i am wrong

·
Registered
310 Posts
EngSaab said:
Can you match port 2.0 stock head to the 2.1 intake while head is on the car assuming you use carbide tools by hand?

TIA
you could...

you would certailny want to remove the intake cam so the valves are shut while you are doing the porting.

that job would be hell on your back, and how can you be sure that all metal shavings are removed from the head? even with compressed air to blow everything out, i would not be comfortably saying that yes, you can clear everything out of there.

i did my head porting with the head removed from the car and completely disassembled. the valve job was done next and the cylinder head shop thoroughly cleans everything before reassembly.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Adapting the 2.1 inlet manifold to fit the T7 head is the way to go. The T7 head has much larger ports to begin with and much more scope for both bigger ports and valves. There are a few issues that need to be sorted first though:

clicky here to see the thread

I got the pictures from Lukes excellent Saabrally.com site. As mentioned in the post, it does require a bit more machining but it is well worth it. The T7 breathes better than a ported 2.3 head. Get the T7 head ported with biggest available vales, mount the 2.1 inlet and you will have the best breathing c900 engine. Period.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Genty said:
Adapting the 2.1 inlet manifold to fit the T7 head is the way to go. The T7 head has much larger ports to begin with and much more scope for both bigger ports and valves. There are a few issues that need to be sorted first though:

clicky here to see the thread

I got the pictures from Lukes excellent Saabrally.com site. As mentioned in the post, it does require a bit more machining but it is well worth it. The T7 breathes better than a ported 2.3 head. Get the T7 head ported with biggest available vales, mount the 2.1 inlet and you will have the best breathing c900 engine. Period.
That would be very neat - fitting a T7 head of a really modern Saab to an older 'H' c900 block sounds like a really good combination if the quirks are dealt with.

I'm liking the idea of a 2.1 head and intake manifold though since I want to turbo my n/a 16V 89 3-door c900 during 2008 after I finish the changes and intercooler mod to my 81 turbo, and putting on a head which gives a slightly lower compression ratio would make the non-turbo control electronics (EZK + LH 2.4) do a better job when the turbo is added to the mix.

I don't think the intake manifold on my existing 16V engine is the more open one as that only came with the 2.1 engines I believe? Still shouldn't be much trouble to change.

So now I need to find a good 2.1 head and intake manifold here in Oz to use as the basis for the engine upgrade (whether or not the turbo is added, but definitely if/when the turbo is added!).

Craig.

·
Registered
310 Posts
oh! oh! i almost forgot.

the 2.1 fuel rail is required to use the 2.1 intake manifold - i think?

i do not believe the fuel rail mount posts are the same, requiring the use of the 2.1 fuel rail, or some sort of modifications. sorry, i do not have more information than that...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts