SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2.1 c900 sedan has started to stall and cut out seemingly randomly while driving to work today. I made it to work but didn't have any time to try and do a field diagnosis.

I had to block traffic at a cpl of sets of lights when it died while not moving. I know it could be all sorts of things. It seems to crank ok but acts like cyls not firing then comes good only to buck again. If I'm moving at a decent speed it fires and will keep going then repeat.

I replaced crank sensor last yr. Don't have a spare AMM in car. Hopefully won't require a tow to get home at 10 pm.馃槈 drove car without a problem this morning to drop daughter at preschool fortunately.

----

And the car behaved faultlessly on the drive home just now. no cutting out of any sort. Thank my Saab for getting me safely home at night. But that makes me think what's going on is temp-related.

Got a few tips on things to check from Steve at Saab Salvage mostly electrical, and i've thought of a few more. In the morning I will see what codes (if any) the ECU gives me after 1231 'no rpm'. Steve said I should check the system relay as they can wiggle out of their socket connections and give strange open-circuit or just bad high-resistance connections. Fuel pump and system relay are the same part number. I'll do the usual checks of all the engine electrical connections in the daylight.

Anything else other 2.1 owners could suggest to look at?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok car drove home in the foggy cold winter night air of Ozzie Land last night around 10 pm with absolutely no issues at all. I 'babied' it and tried to avoid as many stops and standing starts as I could.

Interesting suggesting re the elcd - never considered that.

My Saab guru suggested checking the fuel pump and system relays as they can sometimes get high-resistance/bad connections with their pins and the sockets and/or 'wiggle' up. And checking the AIC isn't blocked or closed up.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sunny winter day so warm enough to do some stuff. I tried reading out the fault codes and I'm getting an endless string of '12231 no rpm' with nothing else every time I try to get the next code. About 30 of the same so I decided to stop after that. Going to pull knee bolster so I can access the relays above the ECU and closely examine the relay socket contacts.

Registered
I think its 100% spark related ....

If you are convinced it isnt CPS, then start testing at the ignition amp or check the harness connection from the cps ( the 3 pin connector under the inlet manifold ( vacinty of knock sensor )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts