SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bored last night so I decided to make my own Cold air intake for my 03 vector 2.0T. Yes, it is actually a cold air intake. The filter location is inside the fender well right behind the fog light. Here are some pics.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After seeing this, I will probably relocate mine.
If you want step by step instructions let me know. It's easy to do, and I can feel a gain in power for sure.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
If you want step by step instructions let me know. It's easy to do, and I can feel a gain in power for sure.
I have yet to see a step by step for this. It would be beneficial to all the ones wanting a CAI. I say throw one up!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cold air Instructions

Tools needed:
10mm socket
8mm socket

First remove the factory airbox assembly. I did this a while back so I dont remember what is holding the box to the car, prob 2 or 3 bolts.

1. jack up right front corner of car and support with jack stand
  2. remove right front wheel

-You will need to buy intake piping (I used 3" piping) which can be purchased at autozone or most any other auto store, as well as couplers that fit the size piping you use. Assemble as shown in above pic, or a similar arrangement of your choice-

- buy a universal filter, the K&N I bought from advanced auto is a slimmer design than the spectre filters that were also sold there. Which is needed to fit comfortably inside fender-

-Attach filter to another piece of intake piping approx. 6" in length (I used 3" exhaust piping because its what I had laying around)-

-Stick pipe with filter attached up through the factory hole in fender and attach to intake piping that you assembled a few steps back using a coupler-

Put the inner fender well back on car, bolt wheel back on, lower car and enjoy. Hopefully these directions are straight forward enough to follow successfully. Feel free to ask any questions if needed.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I know we haven't had much rain recently but how do u think it's gonna fare with the rains. Gerry and I thought about doing it but the gains aren't worth it IMO. And we have intercoolers. But the hydro locking would be my biggest concern.

But all in all the work you did clean and good.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know we haven't had much rain recently but how do u think it's gonna fare with the rains. Gerry and I thought about doing it but the gains aren't worth it IMO. And we have intercoolers. But the hydro locking would be my biggest concern.

But all in all the work you did clean and good.
Thank you!

With the fender well back on there isnt much of a concern with Water spraying off tires or splashing up onto filter. The only issue would be a deep puddle but my car isnt lowered and when there is standing water on the roads I keep it easy and constantly lookout for puddles. Not to say hydro locking cant happen which I hope it never does but Im not to worried about myself.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
its cool and all but its not really gonna give you any gains and id be more concerned about the whole hydro locking because your turbo sucks in masses of air and it will pull moisture really easily i wouldent be surprised if it were to pool in your piping.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its cool and all but its not really gonna give you any gains and id be more concerned about the whole hydro locking because your turbo sucks in masses of air and it will pull moisture really easily i wouldent be surprised if it were to pool in your piping.
Thanks for the input. I positively feel a gain in power though. To address the hydro locking I am going to look into getting An AEM air bypass valve.

"AEM’s patented Air Bypass Valve virtually eliminates the chance of hydro-lock in the event the filter of your AEM Cold Air induction system becomes submerged in water. On most systems, the valve installs along the upper portion of the inlet pipe and shuts down induction at the filter when it becomes submerged, rerouting air through its external diaphragm to keep water out and air flowing in." http://www.aemintakes.com/air_bypass_valve.htm

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Thanks for the input. I positively feel a gain in power though. To address the hydro locking I am going to look into getting An AEM air bypass valve.

"AEM’s patented Air Bypass Valve virtually eliminates the chance of hydro-lock in the event the filter of your AEM Cold Air induction system becomes submerged in water. On most systems, the valve installs along the upper portion of the inlet pipe and shuts down induction at the filter when it becomes submerged, rerouting air through its external diaphragm to keep water out and air flowing in." http://www.aemintakes.com/air_bypass_valve.htm
Where are you gonna put it because if you put it back in your engine bay you just have a short ram intake again. Also its really not gonna do that much you have a turbo aucking and compressing alot of air.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where are you gonna put it because if you put it back in your engine bay you just have a short ram intake again. Also its really not gonna do that much you have a turbo aucking and compressing alot of air.
Id put it in the engine baya few inches above the hole that goes into the fender. It's a bypass valve so the valve is in open position but once the main filter is restricted air starts flowing throught the bypass filter which closes the valve. Once closed it only brings in air through the bypass filter. AEM is a reputable company and I'm sure they spent the time to engineer it to work the way they say it does.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
No purpose...when I had my logger connected, IAT1 was always 1-2*f above ambient, a negligable difference...And the 5 piece intake looks ugly...maybe if it was all 1 piece aluminum it'd look better. But compared to a BSR or DIY there won be difference worth the hassle

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I should have done this mod months ago, it was easier than I thought to do. I can feel an increase in performance through out the entire rpm range compared to my old short ram setup, a minor increase but nonetheless an increase. My engine compartment looks much cleaner now without the dirty open element filter sitting there.

I say go for it for any of you open to try new things, at worst you can change back to your old setup in minutes if you don't like it. Adding the AEM bypass valve isn't a bad idea if your area gets rain often.

If you've never had a cold air setup like this on your saab you don't know if your performance will decrease, increase or stay the same. So you shouldn't be talking down on it just cuz you think you do know.

Thanks for all the feedback

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
cold air or short ram its not going to make a difference the air still has to go though the hot charger and though the heat soaked pipes under the motor, and then through the intercooler where most of the actual charge cooling is done then into the motor, so i dont think extending it 6 inches down into the fender will really do much when the air is traveling about 7 feet of heat soaked pipe. most of what your experiencing is probably in your head. stick it on a dyno if you want to prove that it did something, and if anything your getting maybe a 1 to 2 hp yield maybe not even.

and i have had this setup on my saab, that and a velocity stack intake only thing that changed was how loud the stock bov was.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cold air or short ram its not going to make a difference the air still has to go though the hot charger and though the heat soaked pipes under the motor, and then through the intercooler where most of the actual charge cooling is done then into the motor, so i dont think extending it 6 inches down into the fender will really do much when the air is traveling about 7 feet of heat soaked pipe. most of what your experiencing is probably in your head. stick it on a dyno if you want to prove that it did something, and if anything your getting maybe a 1 to 2 hp yield maybe not even.

and i have had this setup on my saab, that and a velocity stack intake only thing that changed was how loud the stock bov was.
Relax taco, I wasnt directing that towards anyone specifically. I'm not here to prove myself to anyone or try an come off like I'm a pro tuner and know everything. Just though I'd share my weekend project with fellow saab owners, I didn't ask for anyones opinion. It's a shame that every time a new thread is posted about a mod or an idea, there is always a member that never says anything positive or appreciative just contradicts it.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Relax taco, I wasnt directing that towards anyone specifically. I'm not here to prove myself to anyone or try an come off like I'm a pro tuner and know everything. Just though I'd share my weekend project with fellow saab owners, I didn't ask for anyones opinion. It's a shame that every time a new thread is posted about a mod or an idea, there is always a member that never says anything positive or appreciative just contradicts it.
never said you were i was just saying you cant claim power gains by just feel, and as much as you want to think its faster it might not be. never was contradicting your idea just pointing out a flaw in the design, hydro locking is very easy to do and its something that should be pointed out. constructive criticism... if you put in the bypass then the intake goes back to being a short ram because all the air will suck in though the engine bay.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
never said you were i was just saying you cant claim power gains by just feel, and as much as you want to think its faster it might not be. never was contradicting your idea just pointing out a flaw in the design, hydro locking is very easy to do and its something that should be pointed out. constructive criticism... if you put in the bypass then the intake goes back to being a short ram because all the air will suck in though the engine bay.
Who says I can't claim power gains by feel? I drive my car enough to know that it feels stronger. I don't need to put it on a dyno to reassure myself I'm adding power. And the bypass valve doesnt suck through the bypass filter until the main filter is restricted enough to open the bypass valve... Thats the reason they were able to patent the damn thing, read the webpage. So you can't say that the bypass valve will turn it back into a short ram - you don't know that, your just contradicting the idea.

The hydro locking was pointed out by Matt1488 before you, that was constructive criticism. Because of that I looked into the bypass valve.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Who says I can't claim power gains by feel? I drive my car enough to know that it feels stronger. I don't need to put it on a dyno to reassure myself I'm adding power. And the bypass valve doesnt suck through the bypass filter until the main filter is restricted enough to open the bypass valve... Thats the reason they were able to patent the damn thing, read the webpage. So you can't say that the bypass valve will turn it back into a short ram - you don't know that, your just contradicting the idea.

The hydro locking was pointed out by Matt1488 before you, that was constructive criticism. Because of that I looked into the bypass valve.
you can claim it feels faster alll you want... ever heard of the placebo effect its when you want to think something is working so in your head you make it work. and no the bypass filter sucks all the time my gf has one on her 350z i opened it and looked at it, all it is is a peice of foam with a rubber gasket around it so when the intake sucks in the rubber sucks in to let air in and when the intake closes the rubber returns creating a seal from water, so when you are boosting its just going to suck air in from inside your engine bay. its not like it magicly opens up when theres water going into your intake... its open all the time sucking air in from there.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I personally would not be concerned with water entry/hydrolocking.

You have the plastic dam covering the front part then the plastic fenderwell protecting the rest. I would practice common sense and not drive through large puddles.

Looks really nice!

1 - 20 of 171 Posts