SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have already replaced the original black DI/APC box under the passenger side front seat (RHD remember!) with the 'red box' version, and so far I have been happy with the way the car is driving. I also replaced the spark plugs with the right type and renewed the dielectric grease on the DI cassette's plug boots.

I'm now considering what to do, if anything, with the ECU. I am sure there is a lot more that can be done tuning-wise with the later Trionic ECU's but seeing as my 9k carlsson has LH 2.4 plus a rugged B202 engine, it should be possible to do something.

I've got a few engine-related mechanical things to sort out such as figuring out exactly what is causing the strange shifting behaviour that I think might be a clutch issue, and seeing if I need to replace the timing chain (it makes a LOT of noise on start-up), but the car has a 5 spd manual trans which gives more potential for performance improvement.

Craig.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I'm now considering what to do, if anything, with the ECU. I am sure there is a lot more that can be done tuning-wise with the later Trionic ECU's but seeing as my 9k carlsson has LH 2.4 plus a rugged B202 engine, it should be possible to do something.
Sounds like an idea, have you read up on tuning the T5 ECUs. The thread on here about "for those not on the ECUProject" and have a look at the ECUProject.

You are right, there is lots you tweak if you have a T5.
however there is also a thread on tuning your system on the ECUProject.
http://forum.ecuproject.com/viewforum.php?f=23

Have a look, I am going to look into this when I get my 2 9000 models sorted.

Grentarc put a late model 9000 loom into his 89 9000, but of course he had put his aero motor in there so he had no issue with the sensors.
The CPS will need a mounting made to take one if you were to go that way.
there are photos of that on here or on the ECUProject.

·
Registered
58 Posts
There's a couple of basic mods that can be done to up the power.
First of all, get a nice big 3" downpipe, not only will it help with top-end power, but it'll also improve the spool of the turbo. If you can get hold of an inlet manifold from a 2.3 n/a 9000 get one, it gives a bit more low-down torque seemingly without any losses higher up.

Next option is to turn the boost up....not too much, but enough to make a difference. A bigger intercooler is always useful here too.
Much is made of fitting sports induction kits etc, but the standard airfilter is good for at least 300bhp, so I'm not bothering. You can drill extra holes in the airbox if you like, thats quite a popular mod, just watch out for standing water on the road - if it gets in, it could cause expensive damage! Dunno how much of a problem that is in Oz...........:lol:

With my airbox I borrowed an idea I saw on here and have created a second inlet. I was originally going to fit some ram-funnels in the front bumper and use ducting to deliver the cold air through to the inlets, but I've now decided I'm just going to cut through the wing and take the feed from there instead!

Beyond that, it would be best to look at grafting in Trionic management.
If (and thats a big if) you can find one of the early (longblock) aero's, they have Trionic 5.2 which uses the same crank position sensor, so reduces the amount of hassle involved. Some say it is just a case of plugging in the engine wiring loom to the car loom (same connectors) and starting off with the right map. I think it may be a little more involved than that - as I'm currently working towards this. I have all the parts, and I'm starting on ecu.project to get a decent map put together, but I think there will be a fair bit of wiring work needed too. A T5.5 conversion looks to be a lot more work, but I know of a guy over here who has done it on his Carlsson (although it's a 2.3) took him a while, but it's now up and running fine.

Before you go looking for more power - why not make the most of what you already have?
Good tyres, some decent shock absorbers, uprated springs, choice poly bushes, uprated brake pads and braided lines will go a long way. I'd also consider a lightened flywheel as well to make the most of the b202's rev-happy nature.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
In fact a number have put a 2.3 head on the early 2.0 block. Bigger valves etc seem to help this engine quite a bit.

I the post above we are talking about the same thing, grentarcs refit of a T5.5 engine into his early 9000 turbo.

If you wanted to fit a Trionic system, T5.2 ECUs are getting harder to find,but, I just got one off Ebay.

And the T5 series BPC (APC) valves are expensive, so expensive that some have resorted to fitting T7 valves and making internal changes to the ECU, and tweaking the software. Apparently much more reliable and much less expensive.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thats a very good point about converting to the T7 apc valves, much cheaper and much more reliable - just make sure they're held together well....one or two have literally come apart at the seams.

There's a guy in the UK that converted his Carlsson to T5.5, probably at about the same time as gentarc did, so there's at least 2 running round.

I f I was going to the effort of a head-swap, I'd get hold of a later T5 (b204) head and use that. It does need an adapter plate that is available in the uk, and lowers the compression ratio a smidge. The T5 head flows much better owing to better design and larger ports.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some things I have already done such as put the right spark plugs in, replace the DI/APC originally in the car (Saab # 91 19 397) with the 'red box' version (Saab # 86 60 334), replace front suspension bushes, trans mount, upper torque arm, etc. bushes with brand new Powerflex poly-urethane ones, replace all the small-bore vacuum hosing in the engine bay with brand new KTM hardparts orange silicone hose (it's flouro-lined so copes with fuel and oil residues better), and just recently got new tyres (Bridgestone Potenza RE-001's) fitted.

The existing ECU is Bosch # 0 280 000 586 (Saab # 91 19 488). It is listed in the Taliaferro exchange parts listing but does not appear in the ATP Electronics listing.

There doesn't appear to be any later verson of the 9k 2.0 ECU's.

BTW for anyone interested, here's a comparison between the PCB in the red DI/APC box and the one from the black DI/APC box originally in my 9k carlsson:

flickr page

Craig.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been a long time with this one too....

The redbox DI/APC went into the car ages ago now. I don't think I upgraded the FPR though (looking into that).

I'm aware that two significant issue with developing power are the cold air intake, and the exhaust.

Exhaust atm is unfortunately a bog-standard 50 mm one as that's all I could get at short notice a few yrs ago to replace the original rusted out system.

Genuine Saab makes a really nice downpipe setup that I am eyeing off for once I am working again, and if I can go down that path I'll get a better exhaust too.

The cold-air intake I haven't figured out. I've seen some customised ones. I've also heard of people taking the standard air filter housing and making it breath better.

Craig.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Thats a very good point about converting to the T7 apc valves, much cheaper and much more reliable - just make sure they're held together well....one or two have literally come apart at the seams.

I put a T7 valve in my 97, 9000, it was still there when Isold it 50,000km later.

Makes a little clicking sound at idle, but works just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts