SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 95' Saab 900 SE Conv. 2.5 . It's a big upgrade from my Nissan Altima and I'm not planning on going back anytime soon. The car is nice but a totally different car when performing maintenance or working on it.

I've got two problems at the moment. My check gear box light will come on every once in a while. I'm thinking the tranny fluid needs to be checked (just haven't got to it). The second issue, the one I can't figure out, is there is a buzzing noise coming from the driver's side when the key is turn to the "on" position but the car isn't cranked. It will buzz for a brief second and then wait maybe 20-30 seconds before doing it again. It will also do it for an extended period of time if I apply the brakes. I've looked through the forums and couldn't find any answers for these problems. Any help or advice would be great.

Tony

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The "buzz" noise ..

A possible diagnostic step
Disconnect or un-energize the ACC.
If the "noise" stops, then you will know it is the ACC cabin air sensor..

This is very common, Saab should make this a service requirement - this item becomes very dirty, and we all know what dirt does..

The "check gearbox" light..
Probably dirty contacts at the NSS.

Miles?
Automatic or manual transmission ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i messed with it a little today. i'm almost sure it's the NSS. it came from me shifting it from Neutral to Drive at stop lights. the reason for the shift was a bad support on the gas tank, causing the heat shield to rub against the muffler. it was rattling bad at a stop so i would shift it to make the noise go away. i should've known better. in any case, i think the buzz it from the pump right above the nss or it might be the sensor itself.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi, I fixed the NSS on my '96 V6 a couple of months ago, check this post:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105574
I basically followed his suggestions except I didn't actually remove the transmission dip stick tube, but just loosened it and twisted it out of the way, saving the worry of stuff falling in.
Took a bit of getting out, and be very careful when putting it back in, when reattaching the shifter cable, it is quite easy to break the plastic bit he talks about.

Either way, pull it out, open it up, clean out the old crud with some solvent (I used terps and wd40), put a bit of clean electrical grease (or vasoline) in it, close and reinstall, mine's been flawless ever since.

Andrew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts