SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

First of all, I hope I'm posting to the correct forum... now, on to my long post....

I've had a bug to buy a 9000 for a while and the urge hasn't gone away. It seems I spend more time "shopping around" for one rather than learning more about them; therefore, I felt it'd be a good choice to make my first post to the group. I'm hoping to learn more about the 9000 and to understand what I could be getting myself into rather than making that "emotional purchase", (which by the way is winning over the "logical" side of myself), going in with too much ignorance. What makes this urge greater is that every time I talk to somebody who is selling or has sold a 9000, they've had great things to say about it.

I have spent some time going through the forum entries and going through some of the FAQ items as well. In general, these are some of the points I have picked up (as a starting point and not in any particular order):

* The '93+ models are mostly what have my interest. I get the impression, though the '93 can be more difficult for parts and/or some servicing as parts are somewhat unique to that year. Therefore, I'd rather focus on post-1993.

* Ideally, I'm looking for an Aero. I see it as two categories, there's the Aero, and then the CS or CSE. (The power difference between the CS and CSE seems to be readily addressed.) I have sat in an Aero and I like the seats -- very comfortable; but I haven't sat in a CS or CSE. (As a reference, I've owned a '99 9-3 SE and I currently own an '05 9-3 Aero sedan.)

* The car must be a manual transmission -- just "one of those things".

* The '98 is very similar to an Aero; but it doesn't have the seats (and some other cosmetic visuals). I'm unclear whether the suspension is Aero-like, an Aero or that from the CSE.

* There seems to be a "taboo" of the cars with TCS -- some have problems with them and they cost a mint to fix, let alone finding a mechanic/shop that knows how to work on these. Others state "I've not had a problem".

* I've read about the rust areas that are problematic with the cars. Some of the key areas: around the windshield, the strut towers -- front and/or back? -- the wheel wells. (Bubbling paint counts as rust for me.)

* I've read mixed threads about finding a car "with records". While I can see that'd be a great asset, for example knowing whether the clutch was recently changed -- an expensive repair on this car. Yet, going through a car there should be telltale signs if the car was relatively well maintained.

That's most of it. I do have a few questions and general info below...

Finding a car that needs some basic work isn't a problem; but I don't want to find a car that needs plenty of work. I've had plenty of that over the past year as I've been restoring a rear-wheel drive car. That's included rebuilding the whole suspension, (including bushings), swapping the transmission, upgrading the braking system, and very, very basic under-hood-stuff. (This was my first foray going this far with a car.) Thus, I'm looking for a cleaner/decent'well maintained car... for example one that needs things like brakes or tires are not an issue.

I think I'm going to somewhat contradict myself, but here goes -- LOL -- I would like to do some upgrades to a 9000 though -- simpler stuff like the computer or exhaust system, (yet not take it far enough to require clutch upgrades, etc.). (I did this on my first 9-3 and it was well worth it. In fact, I want to do it to my '05 9-3... but that's for another posting on the other topic areas!) ... ok... I'll _consider_ shocks and/or springs -- LOL.

Are there any big differences among the years after 1993? I've read there were some relatively minor updates and that's about all... keyless entry, telescoping steering wheel. I believe the car received some kind of revision to its suspension along the way too.

Any input, comments, suggestions -- good, bad or indifferent -- are greatly appreciated.

Regards and thanks in advance to those who made it this far!

Joe

PS - although my email address has "tampa" (FL) in it, I have been in Phoenix, AZ for the past few years.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Cars from '94-'97/98 are pretty much the same. Apparently the later the gearbox, the better, though. Also, Aeros - besides the fancy seats - have slightly beefed up suspension and drive shafts to cope with the extra power, as well as the bigger turbo compressor. One other difference that can be found on earlier cars (including '93) is between full pressure and low pressure turbo. The actual turbo compressor and engine on non-Aero 9000s is the same. However, the ECUs are tuned differently, with the HPT using a boost control valve mounted on the radiator fan. LPTs turn out around 170hp, HPTs around 200. Upgrading to HPT is easily done, if one wants.

TCS was optional from 1993 on. I believe you can tell whether the car has it by a quick look at the throttle body.

Make sure the engine has a good service history - i.e., regular oil changes. If no records, pull off the valve cover and check the state of the valve train: loads of black sludge buildup there is a bad sign.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
The "98" CSE cars were basically Aeros. They had the lowered stiffer suspension and the 16 inch wheels. I think they all had the 200 hp standard motor fitted to automatic Aeros but I do not know that for sure. Earlier 5 spd Aeros had the bigger Mitsubishi turbo instead of the Garrett AiResearch fitted to all other SAAB turbos.

Production of the 9000 stopped in 1997 I think.

95 and newer cars are better bets than 93 and 94.

I do not think the Aero drive shafts differ as the standard shafts are more than up to the extra torque.

If you get an Aero you won't need to do any upgrades. Suspension upgrades are best limited to installing the Aero spec springs, struts, shocks and roll bars plus 16 inch wheels and 205/55 tires. Anything stiffer, lower or bigger just spoils the SAABness.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
My 2c worth.

As you see I have a 93 9000griffin. I think the griffins have the stiffer suspension like the aero, but they do not have the good seats.

I also have a 97 9000CD. The ride in this CD like my earlier 93 9000CD is softer and more pleasant. Originally my CD was an LPT but it had the APC valve and the intercooler.

Regarding it is a very simple matter to get the computer flashed to a tune that has more hp and torque.

I have done both mine and the griffin is on 250 hp, and the CD which was a lpt is on 235 hp and that is more than a standard aero.

have fun

/R

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't had a chance to write back sooner -- work has been fairly hectic of late!

I appreciate the feedback - thank you. It helps to get the actual knowledge back instead of wondering... especially about the '98 CSE. My objective is to not get too involved with upgrades other than, for example the computer upgrade, (which I was familiar with) and an exhaust system. The information about getting a CS up to FPT is helpful as I see them listed often.

Most importantly about the year... I thought it was the '93 that was the funky year. I'll try to hold out on the '95+ model, whichever trim level.

My general rationale has been if I were to find a CS or CSE, then get the bigger wheels, ECU and the like, I'd perhaps be at the cost of an Aero... so just get the Aero. I hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I messed about with 2 9000s, neither of which scratched my itch because they weren't Aeros.

It's all very well saying 'I could buy the Aero alloys, and get the ECU tune, and...and...' but at the end of the day, only a proper Aero is the real deal, and I wasn't actually happy until I just went ahead and got one.

Sounds like a 95 on Aero is what you want, albeit watch the 95 model, some (certainly here in the UK) got climate control. Really the guaranteed right choice is 96 on, as that got the final gearbox update, the remote central locking/alarm system and so on.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Another 2c worth.

I guess it is horses for courses.
What would my ideal 9000 be.

Well this is probably impossible.
A CD, it has a softer more luxurious ride, the griffin add ons, sunroof, walnut door trims etc, the aero seats with some suede inserts like the griffin seats.

And a T5 suite stage 2 250hp ecu, with the necessary exhaust mods to go with it, but not the 3' cat back exhaust if it caused more drone.

The drone issue is a challenge, the big exhaust which allows the breathing, and the drone go together. It appears to be a function of the exhaust having too much space not filled with exhaust gas until higher rpm. Hence the gas can bounce around and cause the drone. If my information is true, most of the time, at lower rpm and light throttle opening you don't the big exhaust, but when you push it you do, and that is where the damage can occur.

But I guess you didn't need those thoughts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts