SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Every1,
I am about to do the 1st oil change on my recently purchased 2000 Saab 9-3 SE 4door Hb. I want to get some feedback on what type of oil should i use, of course im goin with fully synthetic Mobil 1 but I need to know what weight and filter I should use. My car had 65018 when I got it and now has 66250 and that was 2 months ago. Please would you guys give me some feedback, Thanks.;ol;

·
Registered
273 Posts
I use Mobil 1 0W30 in three of my saabs. Last weekend dropped the pan on one of them (2001 9-3 SE) just to see what is going on and after 65Kmiles the pan was surgically clean. I bought this car with 86KMiles on the clock and dropped the pan right away several years ago. There was some deposits back than, but not bad overall. Mobil 1 really keeps it much cleaner. As for the filter, I use regular FRAM over many years with no issues.

If I were you, I would spend couple hours and drop the pan just to have piece of mind. I would recommend using a good degreaser and clean both the pan and the valve cover. good luck

·
Registered
268 Posts
Congrats and Welcome!!

Hey welcome to the forum. Did you see the Oil Sticky? Lots to read and good info too. Your manual will have the info on what oil grade to use and how much to add.

Me myself I use the European Formula Mobile 1 0W-40 and 4.2l of oil and I have for the 2 years that I've owned the car with changes every 5-7K.
My next oil change though I am planning on trying the Rotella T6 as its cheaper to buy a 5L jug than 5X 1L bottles of Mobile 1. I use a Mann oil filter and the Napa Gold ones as well.

good luck! ;ol;

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks guys. I feel more comfortable after some suggestions. and I have doin alota reading on what to use and what NOT to use. But most likely I will go with M-1 0w 40 and a M-1 filter. Cant go wrong with that. Thanks again...;ol;:D

·
Registered
806 Posts
Shell Rotella T6, Shell Rotella T6... 5W-40 Full Synth.

I use the blue 5L jug available at China-Mart; cheap and economical in that form, so yeah, I'm seconding that. ;ol;

Wasn't there a post just like this a few days ago titled the same way?
It's like Deja Vu all over again...

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Buy a permanent coffee filter at Walmart and drain your oil through it on your first change. After it drains, have a look in the filter and see if theres any signs of "sludge". This is important on these T7's so heed my warning. Check it now. Get the gen-6 PVC update and stay on top of the oil changes.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hey thanks guys. I feel more comfortable after some suggestions. and I have doin alota reading on what to use and what NOT to use. But most likely I will go with M-1 0w 40 and a M-1 filter. Cant go wrong with that. Thanks again...;ol;:D
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209610

Great deal if you're going that route as this is the M-1 that carries the A-3 spec called for by our cars...

Chris
Southeastern PA
2002 9-3 SE

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the advice, Frank. could you give a bit more info on how to do that? Is it to just hold the filter thru the oil as it is pouring out?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 more thought that came to mind, ive read that the washer needs to be changed every so often. Now is that washer from the oil pan drain? Pls help!:roll:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts