SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my car with no problem as usual and drove several miles to a friends house. An hour later I went to start and the key slipped as I went to engage the ignition. Then the second try, the car turned over but it seemed as though there was no fuel getting through. Is there an anti-theft fuel shut off device that I could have triggered? Its hard to believe something just went that suddenly with no indication like a fuel pump. How do I reset the anti-theft feature if that is what it is?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did open the hood and didnt smell anything. One thing though,,, the LED that blinks when the alarm is activated is not blinking at all anymore. Any idea what that means? And what is the DI?

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
On top of the engine is a black cartridge with the words "direct ignition" on. These are the Saab version of a distributor and spark plug leads, they do fail from time to time resulting in a dead engine. If you are friendly with your local dealer he might lend you a good one to confirm your DI has died. If the car won't start you might have to get it put onto Saab's diagnostic tool Tech II, that should be able to confirm whats gone wrong. Can you still activate the central locking/alarm with the remote?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DI bad

I had it towed to dealer and they confirmed it was the DI cassette. At 77,000 miles, this seems really too early to go! I have had this vehicle for 3 weeks! I hope this isnt a sign of things to come! Anyway, the DI is back ordered and dealer is replacing. $436 for unit! I am pursuing my 1 month/1000 mile warranty but I doubt they will do a thing. I assume the anti theft is fine.

Any advice on the DI cassette, is this something I should have replaced myself? If the car isnt running and already towed, sort of hard to do it myself now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Unfortunately, the DI cassettes are notorious on these cars. I know there are a lot of people who actually carry around a spare with them.

Replacing it s probably one of the easiest things to do, however. Unscrew the four torx screws (they even include a torx screwdrive in the trunk with the spare wheel), unplug the old one, plug the new one in and put the screws back in. Make sure the screws are tight, too.
I am looking at replacing one I put in a little over a year ago.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Its recommended to change the plugs at the same time you install a new DI, older plugs make the DI work harder and apparently shorten its life. Nickeldog, if its the first DI change in 77,000 miles its not bad at all. My DI died at 59,000, the replacement has got to 105,000 so far.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All fixed

Kermit, thanks for your always good advice. Its all repaired, with new plugs and software updates. Now interior fan quit yesterday. For having this car a month, I am none too thrilled with the repairs so far... I love the way it drives though.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Look on the bright side, once you've sorted the fan there's not much else to go wrong!! (fingers crossed):cheesy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts