SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im new here, but i can put up with the worst (fresh from turbobricks haha)

i am thinking about picking up a 1999 9-3 turbo that is missing keys. from what i understand i need to replace the module underneath the seat, the ignition switch and have a key that is married to both of those units. is that all that i need to do to get the sucker running?

thanks guys in advance for the help! :D

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Hey, this is just an opinion, but do you think that all the keys are missing for a reason? I mean, if the engine or transmission is toast, you wouldn't know until you got the keys working... Ron

·
Registered
5 Posts
Twice Module - no keys

I just had to go through and get keys myself.....there is a site www.lostkeys.com where you can send them your twice module - your key codes (you have to get from a dealership - show proof of ownership) and send the one you take out with key code to this place - and they sent back within a couple of days - and your module and keys are programmed - it will work. In fact, I told a mechanic about it - and took the car to him and he sent it out....it will cost you about $600 if you do it yourself....otherwise around $800. Hope that helps. (this company is located in Utah - and has a site called lost keys on ebay as well)

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can take your twice module out of the vehicle (located under driver's seat) get your key code from a dealer (have to show proof of ownership) and send it to a place in Utah (www.lostkeys.com). They program the keys to the twice unit and it will run you about $600. I JUST DID this with my 99 9.3 - had no keys at all................

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
You will have to work with your dealer, even if he is good, still plan on spending a lot of money..
I'm with Ron on this one....the keys being "lost" are not a good thing...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i guess my question is: if i replace the module will it fix the problem? has anyone done it?

the keys aren't "lost" they are lost. its a free car, from a person i trust, and i just want the question answered, money be da**ed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are Tech II's universal to all GM cars? Meaning do I have to go to someone with Saab expertise to have a TWICE unit reprogrammed or would any GM dealer be able to do the job?

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
The software cards for the Tech IIs are brand specific, so a GM dealer may not have the correct software, also the later models (9-3SS and later 9-5s) require security access for many changes which will require a subscription to a Saab specific service too, but for the og9-3 that is a non-issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts