SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 saab 9-3 convertible. Car runs pretty good but recently it has been having intermittent issues starting. The car is a manual transmission and intermittently when turning the key the car does not turn over at all (hot or cold). If I take the key out and put it back in and turn the key 100% (as far clockwise as it will go) the car will sometimes start but it sounds sluggish like the battery is dead (which it is not).

I suspect there is a switch that is broken in the key/ignition tumbler. I can't find anything like this regards a manual transmission so I am looking for some different ideas. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More info

Interesting thing. I tried to jump start the vehicle and it actually turned over. I let it run a while and then shut it off. The vehicle then started up a few times but sounds like the first turn or so was sluggish and then turned a couple more cranks with no hesitation. I waited about a day and the car again will not start. I really don't suspect the batter as it seems to have a good charge. Could this be related to the starter or a coil of some sort?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
For these cases, the first thing to do is the full battery and charging system service.
After you know this is good, check out the ignition switch, sometimes the cracks at the soldered connections are visible....
I'll bet that every Saab with miles and years (a ton of each) has a new switch in place...
But mine failed at year 6 (117k miles).....

·
Registered
85 Posts
^ ditto this.

You really have to test all components from the battery to the altanator. I had this issue and it turned out to be a bad connection where the battery cable connects to the starter. I cleaned the connection and no problems since. Mine acted the same as yours...at first a jump would get it to turn over then later it would not.

Check all your connections for corrosion etc. It could be the ignition switch but it could also be a bad cable. etc Just have to test everything...

·
Registered
19,183 Posts
^ Yep... start testing and eliminating. Clean battery cables. Charge battery. Try again.

Clean other end of cables @ starter & ground. Try again.

Change ignition relay (easy, less likely) or switch (harder but more likely). Try again.

You could skip the switch and relay and test for voltage at various points, but an intermittent part might give bad test results.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Try cleaning the key cylinder as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts