SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum so let me know if this is in the wrong place. Before I get started I just want to say that I have been doing a ton of research on the subject and I still cant seem to find an answers to my questions even though there are many similar posts in the forum. With that being said, I have installed a Pioneer gm-5200t amp into my 99 9-3. I want to keep the stock head unit so I decided to use the pre amp output in the back of the head unit to run to my amp. I bought the correct 8 pin din connector that fits into the pre amp output, and connected it to the RCA cable that is running to my amp, and the turn on for the amp. I connected the RCA cables to the pins that go to the front left and front right speakers and the ground. The amp powers on fine, but the problem is that the 12" sub that I am using with the amp is not working, and I can still hear bass coming out of the stock speakers. Anyone have any suggestions as to why this is happening? Thanks

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I'm new to the forum so let me know if this is in the wrong place. Before I get started I just want to say that I have been doing a ton of research on the subject and I still cant seem to find an answers to my questions even though there are many similar posts in the forum. With that being said, I have installed a Pioneer gm-5200t amp into my 99 9-3. I want to keep the stock head unit so I decided to use the pre amp output in the back of the head unit to run to my amp. I bought the correct 8 pin din connector that fits into the pre amp output, and connected it to the RCA cable that is running to my amp, and the turn on for the amp. I connected the RCA cables to the pins that go to the front left and front right speakers and the ground. The amp powers on fine, but the problem is that the 12" sub that I am using with the amp is not working, and I can still hear bass coming out of the stock speakers. Anyone have any suggestions as to why this is happening? Thanks
A couple possibilities -- When I made up the din/rca adapter cable for one of my 9-3's I seem to remember the DIN cabling was not quite as published. Possible you've got the incorrect pins in the DIN plug used?

Another, any chance you're got the amp set to use high level inputs and are feeding it low level input?

Another, what input filters do you have the amp set for? Possible the radio's output filter and the amps input filter are conspiring to cancel the entire signal?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you remember if the connector should be wired to the front left and right or rear left and right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The amp is a pioneer gm-5200t. It is a bridged two channel amp and I have the low pass filter on (tried with it off). Tried different levels of gain and it did nothing. Also tried switching my din connector from what it was previously (front right, front left, ground, amp on) to back right, back left, ground, and amp on.

How would I find what filter the stock head unit is using?

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
The stock head unit doesn't have any filters in it, so unless you add bass blockers or crossovers, the front and rear speakers will always get a full-range signal. On your DIN cable, are you using the audio ground pin? That's the one you want to use. For the sake of just getting a signal to the amp, it doesn't matter if you use the front or rear channels. I'd double-check your wiring using Richard Bevan's Saab Audio Guide (Google it if you haven't already), and maybe try a different trigger than the one for the stock amp. It's a low-voltage trigger and may be causing issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts