SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes that old chestnut. And when I say "again" I'm not referring to how often this comes up, I'm just sick of them breaking!

So I fitted another one this afternoon and within a few minutes it had broken.

I'm going to have one more go so I've ordered another from those lovely people at SAABits.

The shaft broke behind the control knob but the root of the problem is the stiffness at the heater end. The slot the control shaft fits into barely turns. Is there some way of loosening this without dismantling half the car?

Had a thought that I may try reinforcing the flexible ends of the shaft with some Sugru but that doesn't solve the reluctance of the heater control to move.

Anyone?

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
706 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an ACC 9-3 so I haven't had to deal with this.
Looking at Eeuro there seems to a be a kit you can order. Looks like has a spring and ball bearing - are you missing those - then maybe you need those rather than a new rod maybe?
https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/35140/Heater-Control-Gear-Repair-Kit-5330923/
https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/4809/Heater-Control-Rod-4364279/

Apologies if this doesn't help much.
Not those parts I'm afraid Mort. But thanks for trying.

There's a thread around here from the last month or so that goes into detail on what to do.
Ah. Possibly this one? A 13 page pdf. What fun :roll:

Cheers fellas.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw your name pop up more than once. I feel your pain :eek:

I'm going to try the Sugru. If I can just alter between feet and screen I'll be happy.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Attempting the Sugru fix later today

It won't work but wouldn't it be great if it did? It could be known as the Sugru Mod, my name will go down in Saab history and years from now newbies will come on the forum asking what the Sugru Mod is. I'll be able to call them Grasshopper and school them.

I'll post up tomorrow when it breaks.

·
Registered
9,453 Posts
Have you tried using a large your largest screwdriver to work the drum back and forth? Maybe it will loosen it up? (Not sure if it will work, but I think it's worth a try.

Or, adjust it to some distribution setting suitable for UK winter (partway between defrost and heat), and just leave it?

·
Registered
884 Posts
I recall seeing a post where someone with the same problem manufactured a new rod using a socket extension with one or two swivel joints. Can't recall what he used on the ends or how long it lasted. To be honest if you beef up the rod without fixing the flap n the housing, you'll probably just start replacing broken knobs as their shafts will be the next weak link. Although that's a bit easier to fix.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you tried using a large your largest screwdriver to work the drum back and forth? Maybe it will loosen it up? (Not sure if it will work, but I think it's worth a try.

Or, adjust it to some distribution setting suitable for UK winter (partway between defrost and heat), and just leave it?
I was just after some adjustment. A couple of heater control shafts ago I did use a screwdriver to set the distribution to something I thought would fit most circumstances. But then a couple of cold mornings meant that I wanted more to the screen rather than my feet. That's how I got started on all this again.

I recall seeing a post where someone with the same problem manufactured a new rod using a socket extension with one or two swivel joints. Can't recall what he used on the ends or how long it lasted. To be honest if you beef up the rod without fixing the flap n the housing, you'll probably just start replacing broken knobs as their shafts will be the next weak link. Although that's a bit easier to fix.
I think I'm on a hiding to nothing but I've got to at least have another go.

Btw all the Sugru fell off :cry:

·
Registered
420 Posts
just seen this thread, ping me if you need another shaft. (not a euphemism)

I bought one for my 900NG then replaced it with a 9-3 with ACC anyway.
Speaking as someone who used to do modelmaking,I'd try milliput as a padding material.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

I think some more drastic heater surgery is required to fix this properly. But I'll try with the latest shaft today, see if I get a bit of variation between screen and feet and leave it at that. If it breaks I'll just take the shaft out again and set it with a screwdriver. The car isn't my daily so it's no real hardship. And I did get the temperature control and fan working again. When I first got the car they were bust too. So it's not all been a complete loss.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The real solution is to take out the dash to get at the heater control box to clean and lube it. I did a write up last fall, you can search using my user name.

It isn't difficult, just tedious.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
My temp control cable (not the fan) is breaking knobs, although it doesn't seem all that hard to turn.

Is that a simpler fix? Can I lube it without a major excursion and/or adding the infamous screws?

·
Registered
9,453 Posts
My temp control cable (not the fan) is breaking knobs, although it doesn't seem all that hard to turn.

Is that a simpler fix? Can I lube it without a major excursion and/or adding the infamous screws?
Temp control cable is completely independent of distribution drum problems.

If it's fairly easy to turn, it shouldn't be breaking anything. If the knob shaft has a crack, reinforce it with a small nylon tie strap, metal hobby tube, or other ingenious approach.

There should still be a ratcheting effect even if the cable is disconnected.

You can also pop the cable end off the blend door and make sure it is operating freely and smoothly.

The cable itself is the usual suspect. It has to make several bends, and I think it just wears out the nylon sleeve on the inside or outside of the loops, depending on which way it's being worked. Also, make sure the cable is routed reasonably. It can be hard to get aftermarket stereo wiring, the blend cable, and the distribution shaft all in without interfering with each other.

ETA: if the nylon sleeve is indeed worn out, the cure is a new cable. I did not find lubrication to be helpful.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts