SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title says, want to do some part replacement on the front end. Car has 100k exactly. There are a couple of busted ball joints and all sorts of weird sounds coming from the front end.

What I want to do is:

replace outer tie rod ends
replace lower control arms
replace front wheel bearings
replace drive shafts

things I'm not sure on:

should I replace the stanchion arms?
should I replace shocks/spring combo? is that the right name for it? where would I even buy that?

How about sway bar bushings? Where can I buy those?

What about all the other bushings in the control and stanchion arm? where can I buy those and are they expensive?

anything else I am missing?

thanks guys;ol;

·
Registered
556 Posts
I just did mine. I got all my stuff from Rock Auto except for the springs, shocks and spacers.

I see you are in Canada, you don't need to replace the stanchion arm, but most likely the bushings.

My list was, shocks, springs, strut mounts w/ bearings, outer tie rods, spring spacer (the saab site), sway bar links, w/poly bushings(GS), and lower control arms.

Why are you doing the axles?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just ordered all the stuff to do my suspension. 99 Vert 5 Speed Base model. I'm not sure I'm going to start it this weekend or not because on Thursday of next week I'm taking a trip to Toronto. Here is a list of parts i bought which may help you.
From RockAuto.com:
B/A Stab Bar Link 1014871 2x$14.05 Deeza Tie rod end adjusting sleeve OPA124 2x$5.41
KYB rear shock 343270 2x$29.79 KYB front strut 366012 2x$44.79 Moog Tie Rod End ES3237/6 2x$12.86
Moog Ctrl Arm K80545/6 2x$110.79 Moog Strut Mount K90281 2x$63.79 Moog Tie Rod End Bushing K6677 $11.52
Timken Frt Wheel Bearing 510052 2x$55.79 Std Motor Pdts Blower Motor Resistor RU521 $39.79

From Eeuroparts.com:
Front Swaybar bushings 4905832 2x$6.04 axle nut 8965360 2x$4.73
Spring Spacer for front struts 4779724 2x$9.25
stanchion arm bushing 61340058PU 2x$22.55

I couldn't justify Koni or Beilstein struts so I'm hoping KYB's are good enough.
I'm not planning on doing axles but I'll check them when I get into the job.
Hope this helps,
Frank from Pittsburgh

·
Registered
152 Posts
These prices are really good! Is it really hard to do all the work yourself? I am a woman and I am not sure I could do the replacement of the ball joints and the shocks (well, maybe I could do the shocks?).

Where would I start if I don't even have the tools?

·
Registered
19,184 Posts
These prices are really good! Is it really hard to do all the work yourself? I am a woman and I am not sure I could do the replacement of the ball joints and the shocks (well, maybe I could do the shocks?).

limon: This is moderate level DIY (as opposed to easy, or advanced). I would not suggest attempting it without a friend who has done this sort of work before. Someone who knows their way around older cars could help preserve some older bits that you might break and need to be replaced have difficulty removing without some experience in old parts massage.

Shocks in this car require strut removal and dealing with spring compressors... again not difficult, but not entry level stuff. The rear shocks are easy... you actually don't even have to jack up the car to do them, but you may find a lot of rust at the top and need to do some repair.

EDIT: If you would like to look more into this, I would suggest getting the Haynes Repair Manual for the car. There have step by step instructions and photos as you go. You could also look at this site for guides on a few jobs: http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/20050210.Saab_NG900_Front_Suspension/

·
Registered
19,184 Posts
anything else I am missing?

thanks guys;ol;
I would not replace the driveshafts unless you have a problem with them. Most of them go many miles. Stanchion arms usually go quite a ways too... perhaps you could put in bushings.

OTOH, You SHOULD be rebuilding the struts. You have to pull them anyway if you plan to do the wheel bearings. It's a bit more work to disassemble them but well worth it. To do a full rebuild you'll need strut mounts and bearings (I like Moog) and new strut cartridges. If you want the car to handle well, get Konis. If it's not worth big money to you, you could get Boge or Sachs. If you want to cheap out, go KYB but don't complain later when it bounces too much. You'll also likely need the "spring spacers" under the springs as they will be dissolved.

Eeuroparts.com is good. You can get Moog at Rockauto.com. If you want Konis I would suggest importrp.com.

FYI - If you're doing all this, you might also want to consider installing Eibach lowering springs too. You're already doing the labor if you rebuild the struts.

·
Registered
556 Posts

All depending on your level of expertise. If you've "been there and done that", it's an easy job. If not, look for some help before tackling this. http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/20050210.Saab_NG900_Front_Suspension/ the step by step here is pretty on the money.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
one of the drive shafts has a broken boot. is it possible to replace just the boot? someome school me.

sway bar links actually separate from the swaybar? a sway bar link is the part that attaches swaybar to the control arm?

·
Registered
556 Posts
one of the drive shafts has a broken boot. is it possible to replace just the boot? someome school me.

Yes, I did one of mine about 3 weeks ago.
http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/20050717.Saab_NG900_Outer_CV_Boot/

sway bar links actually separate from the swaybar? a sway bar link is the part that attaches swaybar to the control arm?

Yes.
Actual.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Winter project? You can easily do it all in a day.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Winter project? You can easily do it all in a day.
What I meant is it would be one of my winter projects to do.

Right now I am enjoying the weather with the top down.

Once I take it apart I will most likely find other parts that need replacing so the car will sit while I order those parts.

I do not have any plans on driving the car this winter so if it sits on stands taken apart for a few weeks it wont matter much.

But yes I agree, this job could be done in 1 day.

·
Registered
19,184 Posts
If you do the full strut rebuild, complete with painting, and some time to have a guy press in new wheel bearings afterwards then it's a three-day project.

If that axle has had a torn boot for a while, there might be dirt in there. Replacement might not be a bad idea if it looks at all dirty or like it's been that way for months.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
autopartsway dot ca is the best place to order your stuff in Canada. They're fast and have low prices. Free shipping too, for the amount you'll be spending.

·
Registered
556 Posts
What I meant is it would be one of my winter projects to do.

Right now I am enjoying the weather with the top down.

Once I take it apart I will most likely find other parts that need replacing so the car will sit while I order those parts.

I do not have any plans on driving the car this winter so if it sits on stands taken apart for a few weeks it wont matter much.

Ahh, I see.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
guys

i stabalizer bar same thing as sway bar?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts