SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 1999 93 Conv (72K), when I try and turn switch to high beam, all of my exterior lights go out. Did I somehow activate a stelth driving mode? The high beams were working fine last week. Anyone have any idea on this?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
99Saabnut said:
Not certain, but it sounds like your relay is bad.
Ah, but we are guessing, are we not ??
And I'll guess the "dip switch" as the English term it..
But, with an older high mileage car, the dip switch relay is very possible.
A diagnosis must be done..
To troubleshoot, I'd use the WIS, if I had one; so I'll have to try to use the Haynes schematics. This has too much info one one little page - the Saab headlight system is very complex, using a number of relays, switches, monitors, fuses, even the ICE..
http://www.customsaab.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61 But this link is better than the Haynes.. and guessing...

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
earthworm said:
Ah, but we are guessing, are we not ??
Yes and no... ;) He asked for Ideas, and I provided one based on experience and electrical maintenance background. The symptoms described do not lend themselves to a blown fuse, and while there may be wiring issues elsewhere; the relay is the safest and easiest place to start with.

Without attacking his car with a Multimeter I cannot say anything with certainty...:cheesy:

And a Nice link, certainly useful in this case.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have been having problems with my lights as well. I kept getting a "front light failure" message so I noticed that one of my lights wasn't on. I swapped out the relay with another and still had the problem. So I bought new bulbs and put them in. Worked fine for a few months, but I just got the message again last night. So any other ideas would be helpful.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Exact same problem.

saabguykai said:
I have been having problems with my lights as well. I kept getting a "front light failure" message so I noticed that one of my lights wasn't on. I swapped out the relay with another and still had the problem. So I bought new bulbs and put them in. Worked fine for a few months, but I just got the message again last night. So any other ideas would be helpful.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
A great many of these bulbs are too fragile(in an attempt to be as bright as possible)....

Durability is thrown out the window to appease the bright lights crowd...Ontop of that, the quality avenue is as narrow as possible in order to be cost competitive :evil: ..
The name brands should be known... But the pressures are about the same for Phillips, Osram, and the Japanese brand....

My idea is "slow on" lights, controlled by a diode to control shock.. But I do not know if this will work.....
The lights have been continually improved and this must continue..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update on High Beams

Thank you for the replys. I had every intent to pull the relay this weekend, but while waiting in a parking lot early Saturday morning I flipped on the high beams and the same thing happened, all outside lights went dark. This time I left it stay that way while pondering where would be the best place to pick up a relay. After about 5 seconds (much longer then I had left them off before, since I was usually driving at the time) I heard a click and the high beams along with all other lights came on. After that the high beams worked as normal. I'm guessing that the relay stuck. For now I'll leave well enough alone. FYI - I never got that light failure message on the screen, or any other failure warning.
I do have one other issue to throw out. The drivers side rear window seal between the front and rear window generates alot of wind noise at highway speeds. The seal seems to be bent inward as compared with the passenger side window. Can this seal be "bent" back out, can it be replaced without replacing the glass, or do I need to replace the whole rear window unit?
Thanks again for any help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts