SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Ok I have a strange problem with my 9-5. My oil pressure light flickers only after the engine is "warmed" up. It mostly happens after driving on the autobahn (that's highway in english LOL) and I stop. Once the engine speed drops below about 900 RPM. There seems to be something dragging the engine down. I'm leaning to the direction of an electrical issue. Once the car is parked and the light goes out it will come back on if, I turn the wheel or use an electrical item ie; windows, turn on the heater etc.
I'm a mechanic myself however this car is interesting to work on. I don't have any diagnostic tools of my own so I've had it in a few shops. They never found the problem. Anyone have any experience or ideas???
Steve

·
Registered
230 Posts
The threshhold for the oil light to come on is very low. Something like 6-8 psi. Are you aware of the sludge issue with this engine? (I'm presuming you have the 2.3t.) Drop the oil sump immediately and check for sludge. The oil strainer is probably clogged and hence no oil pressure. I would not drive the car until checked!

If you need more info search for "sludge" and read the endless number of threads!

Have you checked the oil pressure sensor itself? They are a very inexpensive part $18 US.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sensor

Hi,may be the oil pressure sensor wire makes short cut somewhere-the sensor is on the back side of the engine somewhere behind the alternator if I'm remember correct.
I guess that you've checked the oil level and it is ok.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys
The sludge I'll check on right away. As a matter of fact the PCV was blocked last year and I had alot of water contamination in the oil. I changed the oil about every 200 miles for a month or so. Then ran engine cleaner in the system the last oil change.
I've been thinking on the oil sensor too. So now I'll look at it too.
Thanks all.
Steve

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Your oil pump could be dying on you. Everything you mentioned seemed like it was something that added strain to the accessory belt. Or maybe your belt is slipping because it's worn out. When was the last time you had the serpentine belt changed?

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Welcome to SC:D

You should be aware that there is a very serious defect with these cars that can be avoided. You are running some symptoms of the defect.

These cars suffer from oil sludge which forms often at low temperatures when condensation is present. Oil sludge can also form because of dirty oil and lack of proper crankcase ventalation.

The fix it to clean out you oil sump, pickup tube strainer, and run Mobil 1 changes every 6,750 kms or sooner. Use a high quality oil filter like Genuine Saab or Mann.

Get the latest PCV update Kit and install it too.

The tips mentioned above are great and i'm sure we can get to the bottom of this. Early sludge symptoms are a medical emergency, without proper care your car will suffer permanent disability or death.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all I have to thank all of you for your feed back on my oil pressure problem. It is something much worse than all of us thought of but something I suspected and hoped I was wrong on. There is a bad bearing on the crankshaft. The oil is only a few days old and there is metal shavings in the oil after 100 miles. The engine isn't blown as of now but it can't be driven at the moment. The car is no longer worth fixing. It will cost almost as much to fix as the car is worth. This was my first Saab and it's been way to much trouble. Honestly I'll be happy to see this car go away. If I can get some money from it great if not it will save me money to toss it in the junk yard.
I'd always heard that Saab is such a great car that's why I bought it. Unfortunatly this wasn't my experience at all. Actually I thought the car was great but it has become one major problem after the other. I've owned it about 3 1/2 years and I'd estimate about $5000.00 in repairs. Normal repairs ie; brakes, muffler etc excluded.
I'm selling this thing to a friend that owns a shop. If I deciede to try Saab again I'd hope for better luck. For now I'll stick to my Fords. Sorry guys but this thing has been a drain on the bank account. Good luck to you all.
Steve

buckedoff96 said:
Hi all
Ok I have a strange problem with my 9-5. My oil pressure light flickers only after the engine is "warmed" up. It mostly happens after driving on the autobahn (that's highway in english LOL) and I stop. Once the engine speed drops below about 900 RPM. There seems to be something dragging the engine down. I'm leaning to the direction of an electrical issue. Once the car is parked and the light goes out it will come back on if, I turn the wheel or use an electrical item ie; windows, turn on the heater etc.
I'm a mechanic myself however this car is interesting to work on. I don't have any diagnostic tools of my own so I've had it in a few shops. They never found the problem. Anyone have any experience or ideas???
Steve

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
sorry about your troubles. The engines in these cars can we a weakspot.

I would think that engine oil sludge could have clogged up the pick up tube and damaged the engine bearings.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
buckedoff96 said:
Hi all I have to thank all of you for your feed back on my oil pressure problem. It is something much worse than all of us thought of but something I suspected and hoped I was wrong on. There is a bad bearing on the crankshaft. The oil is only a few days old and there is metal shavings in the oil after 100 miles. The engine isn't blown as of now but it can't be driven at the moment. The car is no longer worth fixing. It will cost almost as much to fix as the car is worth. This was my first Saab and it's been way to much trouble. Honestly I'll be happy to see this car go away. If I can get some money from it great if not it will save me money to toss it in the junk yard.
I'd always heard that Saab is such a great car that's why I bought it. Unfortunatly this wasn't my experience at all. Actually I thought the car was great but it has become one major problem after the other. I've owned it about 3 1/2 years and I'd estimate about $5000.00 in repairs. Normal repairs ie; brakes, muffler etc excluded.
I'm selling this thing to a friend that owns a shop. If I deciede to try Saab again I'd hope for better luck. For now I'll stick to my Fords. Sorry guys but this thing has been a drain on the bank account. Good luck to you all.
Steve
Yikes... every Ford our family has owned has been as bad as your 9-5 was, unfortunately... It's funny how some people have a great time with a car, and other people can have an awful time with it. Good luck!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Three posts and a goodbye :cry:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I always had great luck with ford, I drove a used ranger for 10 years, personally putting over 300,000 miles on it. I have a 98 cobra (which is my baby LOL) and she's awesome. Honest I really loved the 9-5 but had way to many issues with it. It was comfortable and safe great car. I wish I had known about the sludge problems when I first bought the car. Saabs aren't popular here in Germany at all and the Saab shops, I think, don't know what they're doing. If the time comes and I get reassigned in the USA I may consider another Saab but for sure not stationed here in Germany.
All of you would choke at the prices of parts for a Saab here. A throttle body for my 9-5 is about $1100.00, exhaust manifold about $850.00 and so on.
Maybe this is why Saab isn't big here. I always had to order from back home in the US and wait on parts. Oh well live and learn. Now I know.

SectorNine50 said:
Yikes... every Ford our family has owned has been as bad as your 9-5 was, unfortunately... It's funny how some people have a great time with a car, and other people can have an awful time with it. Good luck!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm taking my 1999 9-5 2.3lpt to be checked out for sludge. Will I still be covered under that 8 year extended warranty that Saab issued? If not, will an aftermarket Warranty that I purchased for 4 years/unlimited miles cover my engine under the powertrain part of the warranty?

·
Registered
230 Posts
eco9-5 said:
I'm taking my 1999 9-5 2.3lpt to be checked out for sludge. Will I still be covered under that 8 year extended warranty that Saab issued? If not, will an aftermarket Warranty that I purchased for 4 years/unlimited miles cover my engine under the powertrain part of the warranty?
You willl only be considered for the Saab 8 yr warranty if have documentation of all scheduled oil changes!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Luckily the previous owner had the oil changed about every 6000-8000 miles. :D If I show the dealer the carfax history...will it be sufficient documentation?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
eco9-5 said:
Luckily the previous owner had the oil changed about every 6000-8000 miles. :D
So what makes you think you have sludge then? :confused:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just got it a week ago...going to have oil and filter changed and checked for sludge...but in reference to your question...there are no oddities that make me believe I have sludge...I'm at 110,000 miles now and it feels good...no weird noises...but I just want to make sure there are no hidden things brewing in my engine.:eek:

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
eco9-5 said:
there are no oddities that make me believe I have sludge...I'm at 110,000 miles now and it feels good...no weird noises...but I just want to make sure there are no hidden things brewing in my engine.:eek:
Same for my 99. The car ran very well but I dropped the sump anyway. 5 hours work on a Saturday but a worthwhile piece of mind.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts