SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again, I bought a Saab. I have all the service records from day 1. In looking at the service records the car came in with a "oil light on" @101282 miles. The dealer R/R #4 piston,R/R rods and bearings, R/R timing belt and performed major service. I wonder if this was all the bearings and rods?

@ 127907 miles they R/R timing belt tensioner and pulley. The original owner was told it needed a new turbo, and was later traded in.

The car is now @ 161000 miles and the turbo was removed by me. I'm going to replace the timing belt,tensioner and pulley while I'm in there.

What about the oil cooler? Any other items to look at while in this stage?

Thanks 930

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
The Oil cooler was an issue with the V6's. If you are that deep into the engine, it couldn't hurt to replace it. Replace the thermostat while you are in there too. New water pump too while you are doing the timing belt.

If it was me and I had the funds, I'd replace the alternator too since it is a real pain to get to with the engine together. The CPS while you are in there.

Other things I'd replace, but are not related to engine dissassembly are the coolant by-pass valve & fuel pump.

Basiclly, replace all of the wear items while the car is off the road and you will have a very dependable car.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Spend a little gain a lot.

Excellent reply jlthunder as I would recommend the same. That should cover everyting that's subject to wear and replacement required.

·
Registered
693 Posts
It's great that you had those service records. Without a doubt you'll have one of the better maintained V6's here. The only thing I would add to the suggestions of jlthunder and WhiteTurbo is the Oil Pressure Switch. This signals low oil pressure to the ECU and can fail without a warning. It's fairly cheap too! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts