SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, first time posting, I hope I can get some help on this site. ;ol;

I was told by a private Saab mechanic that my flex pipe, resonator and rear muffler should all be replaced. He told me ~$1200 for all OEM parts custom fitted and shipped to him. Not doing that.

I told a local mechanic I wanted to replace the flex pipe with a generic one from his shop, replace the resonator with a straight pipe and to replace the rear muffler also with one from his shop (flowmaster). Also it would be a 2.5 inch pipe He said it would be kinda loud, but all that for $350.

Third guy at a tire shop also told me ~$1200 and he told me they wouldn't do the above set-up (flex > straight > muffler) because it wouldn't pass the emissions test due to back pressure or something.

Is there any truth to that? I would love some input from people that have a straight pipe on or those that have any other ideas for my exhaust. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
693 Posts
I feel your pain! I just replaced those very same parts earlier this month, and the price was very close to what they are quoting you. I had my flex pipe replace twice because a Meineke Tech had a bad day. I really wanted to go with the setup you mentioned but of course everyone talked me out of it. :nono;

I'm assuming you have a V6 to, because every other 95 seems to have more exhaust options than these. My advice is to bite the bullet and get it done..I priced these parts from Craigslist to Ebay and even a few salvage dealers...at the end of the day the cost for iffy or used parts wasn't that far off from the that of the muffler-men. The good news is that my car sounds and runs a lot better. Now if I could just afford to drive somewhere besides the office or the grocery store. ;)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Depends mainly if you want your car louder or not. The cat is what controls anything emissions related, and getting rid of as many of the mufflers as you can will make your car actually run better. The turbo provides all the back pressure you would ever need. I did a custom cat back for roughly $700 from a place near Baltimore which was a single flowmaster muffler (I wanted to add more sound and flow) to a Y to have a dual exit for looks. It is more than the $350 the guy quoted you, but it is an entirely new cat back exhaust. The Saab mechanic is probably absolutely right about OEM cost, but the tire place is just blowing smoke.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If you have the V6, I just did the front pipe, flex connections and Cat (all one piece). Go to Rock Auto and you can get this part for $300.00 + shipping. It ships out of Langhorne, PA(near Philadelphia). Mine bolted right up. I got new Oxygen sensors from E-euro and that was another $200.00(free shipping) since I had 150K on the originals. My mid and rear muffler passed safety inspection, but I'll probably be doing them next year.

The mid and rear mufflers have an outer layer on them. You can peel them off and if the inner coating is fine, you won't need these parts. Some mechanics see the peeling metal and fail you on the spot when the muffler is just fine.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I went to a place called thepartsbin.com for my system on my 2.3. Check their prices for a complete system, wasn't too bad. Flex can be had cheaply from Ebay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine's actually a 4-cylinder and so far, I have an appointment with the guy doing it for $350 in about a week.
I don't think I want to peel off the outer coating because the Saab guy told me all 3 parts were actually leaking.

I was told it's gonna be kinda loud, but I want that on acceleration. Now it sounds like a truck when it's just idling. :confused:
Oh, and I would like to actually order the stuff (like a borla muffler) online, but no one around where I live is willing to install it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
To be honest with you, it probably won't be that loud, especially if it is leaking already, thus muffling the sound less at this point. Then again, my experience with the noise out of my exhaust is from sitting inside the driver's seat and listening to it push noise backwards, so not the best way to judge how loud it really is.

I replaced mine with a catback that starts with an 8" or 10" muffler and then splits with a Y back to a dual exit. It has a much nicer deep rumble at idle, which did add some noise, and then at WOT it gets nicely louder, with a seemingly unique jet-like sound. The downpipe seems to keep the sound muffled, which is why I am in the process of replacing it. Before doing the catback though, I removed the resonator to try and get more sound. Not a whole lot more sound came out after doing that, which is why I did a catback.

It seems odd to me though that you can't find a place that would just charge you for labor to install parts if you brought in your own muffler. Midas removed my resonator and charge a steep $100 to do so, but if I had given them a muffler and flex pipe to go along with it, they would have been happy to do the cutting and welding on that as well and just charge me more labor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts