SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have recently been offered a 1999 SE saloon with a transmission issue.
Its an auto but the owner cannot engage reverse.
The car is too far away for me to just pop over and have a looksee.
I don't think he is overly mechanically minded or perhaps he is being a little evasive.

All I can really get from him is this.

The car drives forwards fine and all gears engage as the should. But, engage reverse and nothing happens although the car wants to creep forward. It also wants to creep in neutral. Revving the car does nothing so no gear is actually engaged.
There are no lamps on the dash (apparently)

Aside from possibly low oil (although I would expect other symptoms too) has anyone got any ideas or experiences of such a transmssion failure?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Hi all

I have recently been offered a 1999 SE saloon with a transmission issue.
Its an auto but the owner cannot engage reverse.
The car is too far away for me to just pop over and have a looksee.
I don't think he is overly mechanically minded or perhaps he is being a little evasive.

All I can really get from him is this.

The car drives forwards fine and all gears engage as the should. But, engage reverse and nothing happens although the car wants to creep forward. It also wants to creep in neutral. Revving the car does nothing so no gear is actually engaged.
There are no lamps on the dash (apparently)

Aside from possibly low oil (although I would expect other symptoms too) has anyone got any ideas or experiences of such a transmssion failure?
Usually does not fail, it very well could be fluid or possible connection to NSS.
Used trans in the US for this run $200-400USD plus shipping. (or more)

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
no practical way to bypass the NSS to get the vehicle in reverse. The NSS has a "4-bit" code that it sends to the TCM to tell it what gear it's in. The starter interlock is a separate "circuit" within the switch.

aside from low oil it could be:

1: as mentioned the NSS not telling the transmission to go into reverse. If that was the case though the light on the dash would not signal reverse since that signal comes from the TCM to the instrument cluster.

2: you have a failing solenoid for the reverse in the valve body. There is a web site that I saw somewhere but can't find right now that has the descriptions of the solenoids for the AW50-42 transmission, that would tell you which one would impact reverse engagement.

3: a bad valve in the valve body

4: a bad clutch or band inside the transmission.

Depending on how much time you want to spend, you can start at the top of the list and work your way down from least trouble to the most trouble (and expense)

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A 2yr old post that has been reborn.

I actually have no recollection of initiating the thread, it was certainly not a car i bought.

thanks for the answers though :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts