SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
Hope you can help me, Ive been searching everywhere but can't find right answer, so I'm really asking for your help as I love this car and would love to drive it back asap!
So here's my problem with my 1999 9-5. Car cranks well, but doesn't fire. It started happening last week. When I stopped at the grocerie for a couple of minutes, car wouldn't fire up randomly for 10-15 min (cranks but doesn't fire) and then start normally. Red light on dash (engaged alarm system) was blinking and making noize sometimes WHILE driving (this is why I mostly suspected the alarm system)
However, it's been 2 days that the car doesn't start anymore!!!
It's not the battery, car keeps cranking normally without loosing power (starts loosing power after the xth try), nor the cps (previous owner changed it). I'm suspecting the TWICE module unit (read about it on other discussions but can't find right information) or something like that. SID displayed SERVICE THEFT ALARM, so I changed the battery inside the key fog. Tried to reprogram the key as told in owner manual, but doesn't seem to work. Also, alarm was going randomly off during night (I stopped locking the doors to prevent it), took off the alarm system last week and changed batteries CR17335 (however previous batteries still held a charge of 3.05V, but I changed them as I got inside anyway).
So after changing batteries inside my key and inside the backup anti theft alarm system (front driver side wheel location), car still doesn't start!!! The red light in the middle of the board still blinks and makes noize when I attempt to fire the car. Car can crank for 30min straight and not fire up. On a couple of occasions, car would start but would die off 3-4 seconds after firing up (even more suspecting an alarm system cutting off the fuel or whatever)
Is it the TWICE modul unit? Immobilizer? What can I do without spending a lot of money $$$?
Please I really need help from you!
Thank you for your time and help, Dave

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I don't know well your issue but maybe some issue on the alarmsiren block under the left wing.
batteries need to be changed or another part i don't remember the name inside the block.
it's just a trail i hope you receive soon some using infos.

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
Highly unlikely that the alarm has anything to do with your problem, the best way to address the situation without spending a lot of money is to find a local Saab familiar garage that has a TECH2 (diagnostic tool) and have the car scanned.

·
Registered
149 Posts
This really is the best way. Or you can keep throwing parts at it like I did after reading multiple threads with solutions to other people's problems. In the end, a diagnosis would've been a good idea. Second best idea would've been to start with the cheapest part!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Yes. TECH II would be an optimal solution. But you can do some 'no cost' trouble shooting to narrow things down.

I assume you have checked fuel pump fuse and relay as well as fuel injector fuse and ignition relay? If not, check and rule them out.

If all fuse/relays are good, spray some starter fluid into the inlet and try to start the car. If it starts, you have a fuel delivery issue. If it does not start, you have a spark/ignition issue.

If fuel issue, check the Schroeder (sp?)) valve on the fuel rail. Put some cloth / paper towel around the valve area and use a small screw driver and depress the valve. If fuel dribbles out, could be your fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump or check valves on the fuel pump lines or extremely dirty fuel filter.

If spark/ignition issue, check your ground connections (especially the one on the thermostat housing and inlet manifold (the bracket that holds the CPS and O2 sensor connectors). Clean if dirty. Also check the connector to the DIC. Although rare, the pins could fall out of connector and cause electrical issues. Clean the ignition barrel (search this forum, several threads with instructions).

Finally, how long ago was the CPS changed? Was it an OEM or after market. I've bad luck with after market sensors and they seem to fail prematurely. Your problem description kind of sounds like a bad CPS to me but could be many other things.

Edit: can you hear the fuel pump prime ("buzz") when you turn the key to ON? If you can't hear it, it is a tell sign of a faulty pump.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Check the fuel pressure at the rail, there is a shrader valve with a black cap on it. if you can't get a gauge from your local chain auto store then just let the pressure out into a rag and then turn the car on. if the pressure comes back the pump is working (although maybe not enough)

If the tach is moving while cranking the CPS is probably good

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had an issue with the alarm on my 1999 9-5. (I just recently retired it and picked up a 2010 9-3). I changed the battery on the box located in the drivers side fender. It is pretty easy to get to and the box disconnects via the harness (use a small flat head screw driver and VERY GENTLY pry it back). You can open the box and change to the battery, but you will have to desolder the old battery out. I changed the battery and a few months later I had the same issue with the alarm going off. I wind up leaving the box out entirely. Your alarm light will still flash as it is armed, but you will have the clear the SID alarm warning every time you start the car.

It sounds like you could have 2 issues regarding your car not starting. It could be your DIC Cassette or your fuel pump. The fuel pump is located under your rear seat and you need to be careful when you change it since it sits directly in your gas tank. I would have the fault codes read with a Tech 2 or a OBD II reader to check it out.

I hope this helps you out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.