SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently picked up a 1999 9-5 from a garage. The car was brought in by the customer because the key not accepted message came up. There are 2 keys and fobs, both give the message. The garage changed the batteries in both key fobs. And stopped there because they did not want to spend any more money to diagnose it. I bought the car at that point and I am trying to track down the issue. The led on the dash is not blinking. Either of the fobs will lock or unlock doors. There is a continuous clicking, sounds like a relay, coming from under the passenger seat. If I disconnect the battery, or remove the fuse for the twice, the clicking stops until the key is turned to the start position, then it begins again. I plugged my tech2 in to the obd port, but it seems to not have power going to it for some reason. Where do I begin? Thank you

·
Registered
377 Posts
So I recently picked up a 1999 9-5 from a garage. The car was brought in by the customer because the key not accepted message came up. There are 2 keys and fobs, both give the message. The garage changed the batteries in both key fobs. And stopped there because they did not want to spend any more money to diagnose it. I bought the car at that point and I am trying to track down the issue. The led on the dash is not blinking. Either of the fobs will lock or unlock doors. There is a continuous clicking, sounds like a relay, coming from under the passenger seat. If I disconnect the battery, or remove the fuse for the twice, the clicking stops until the key is turned to the start position, then it begins again. I plugged my tech2 in to the obd port, but it seems to not have power going to it for some reason. Where do I begin? Thank you
The fobs need to be programmed to the car with a tech 2. Seeing as both keys are doing the same thing... you need to get a new key with the cim module. If you dont have at least 1 working key, you cant program any keys. Call volvo saab auto dismantlers in California and get the key and cim module then find someone eith a tech 2 to program it for you.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a spare twice with keys. But my tech2 is not powering up when I connect to the obd port

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
Check if there is retracted pin(s) in OBD connector.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is my next step mimmi. I need to get to the car again. I did not take my torx bits last time. If there the pins are correctly in place, do you think there is a connection between the two?

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
All Saabs have torx screwdriver in tool box (at least here in Finland).

Check fuse 9 in dash fuse box, it powers OBD connector.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Is the antenna around the key cylinder plugged in and in good condition? Try removing it from the installed position. Turn it slightly clockwise then pull it up. Then just set it on top of the lock then put the key in and try to start. Happened on my 99 9-3. This is the only way it worked until I got a replacement.

I'd try buying one on Ebay first and try it, you can get them pretty cheap. I have one or 2 laying around if you need one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately the antenna is connected, and I did pull the ring off the base and try. Me remote locks are not working, either is the central lock button on console

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so I was able to connect the tech2, the only error showing was with the dice, ironically, not the twice. It is saying the vin stored in dice does not match vehicle vin. But when I selected more info on the screen it shows the vin of the car, and the vin stored in the dice. They match. Any body have any tips of what step to take now. I have the tech2, but I dont know how to use it to the capacity it's meant to be. 20190708_182242_1562631235197.jpg 20190708_182242_1562631235197.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, the clicking from the passenger side footwell is the relay for the power seat. If I remove the fuse for that seat, the clicking stops. I also tried 2 different antennae rings(a round the ignition barrel) no change. I've also read that turning the key to "on" position, and pressing and holding the trunk release button on the fob before turning to start position. No change.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Also, the clicking from the passenger side footwell is the relay for the power seat. If I remove the fuse for that seat, the clicking stops. I also tried 2 different antennae rings(a round the ignition barrel) no change. I've also read that turning the key to "on" position, and pressing and holding the trunk release button on the fob before turning to start position. No change.
Hold the unlock button while turning to start. I just saw another thread posted with similar issues and that's what they recommend if the key is not accepted.

Of course this is if the remote is mated to the TWICE.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hold the unlock button while turning to start. I just saw another thread posted with similar issues and that's what they recommend if the key is not accepted.

Of course this is if the remote is mated to the TWICE.

I've tried this as well. No luck
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
The fobs need to be programmed to the car with a tech 2. Seeing as both keys are doing the same thing... you need to get a new key with the cim module. If you dont have at least 1 working key, you cant program any keys. Call volvo saab auto dismantlers in California and get the key and cim module then find someone eith a tech 2 to program it for you.
Wrong model of Saab. You're referring to what happens in a 9-3ss (CIM). 9-5's don't have a Column Integrated Module.

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
The led on the dash is not blinking. Either of the fobs will lock or unlock doors.

I've tried this as well. No luck
Are you saying that the separate fobs on their own will, or will not unlock the doors?

If they unlock the car, I would re-marry the keys with the TechII. Worse case is you'll need a new Twice, or maybe a new ignition switch (electronics).

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nocturne, the fobs do not lock/unlock, release trunk. Central lock on console does nothing either. No flashing led on dash. And key not accepted message on sid, for both keys that both worked fine one day, and all this occurred for no apparent reason, at least no reason that the p.o. could remember.

Are you saying that the separate fobs on their own will, or will not unlock the doors?

If they unlock the car, I would re-marry the keys with the TechII. Worse case is you'll need a new Twice, or maybe a new ignition switch (electronics).[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
Nocturne, the fobs do not lock/unlock, release trunk. Central lock on console does nothing either. No flashing led on dash. And key not accepted message on sid, for both keys that both worked fine one day, and all this occurred for no apparent reason, at least no reason that the p.o. could remember.
Well then, looks like time to dig into the Tech II and learn it. Then you'll be better able to figure out what the actual issue is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts