SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2010 SAAB 9-3 Aero SportCombi
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a front bumper for my '99 9-3 3door, can anyone tell me definitively if an SE or Viggen bumper cover would fit? Currently has base model bumper modified to fit an ITR lip. Car Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Land vehicle Tire
Thanks

·
Registered
19,182 Posts
If you get the Viggen, you need the plastic bumper to fender mounts and the FIVE shields under the front.

If you get the SE, all you really need is the plastic cover, although it's easiest to just unbolt the entire bumper and fit it wholesale. The shields and the mounts are the same on the SE.

·
Registered
10,606 Posts
An SE bumper cover is more or less the same as the base model's bumper. The only difference is that the SE has a small lip spoiler attached to it. You can add the lip spoiler to the base model by cutting some slots that should be marked on the backside of the bumper cover. The spoiler used to be sold as a factory accessory.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An SE bumper cover is more or less the same as the base model's bumper. The only difference is that the SE has a small lip spoiler attached to it. You can add the lip spoiler to the base model by cutting some slots that should be marked on the backside of the bumper cover. The spoiler used to be sold as a factory accessory.
Thanks thats good to know, previous owner cut some slots to fit the ITR lip, might be the same slots.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you get the Viggen, you need the plastic bumper to fender mounts and the FIVE shields under the front.

If you get the SE, all you really need is the plastic cover, although it's easiest to just unbolt the entire bumper and fit it wholesale. The shields and the mounts are the same on the SE.
Ah so not as simple as just swapping the bumper cover, might just get an SE parts car since I need a few other things, and forgo the Viggen idea as I dont really want to have a Figgen. Thanks!

·
Registered
Current: 2000 9-3 Aero 5d, Family: 85 900i 3dr.
1,069 Posts
Oddly enough the car in the video below seems to match almost perfectly to yours.
I'm not sure if you are going to be replacing the side skirts and the rear bumper as well.
There is a video that describes some of the issues with the tabs that connect the áero'kits together. Bumper discussion is around 12.00 mark.

·
Registered
10,606 Posts
Ah so not as simple as just swapping the bumper cover, might just get an SE parts car since I need a few other things, and forgo the Viggen idea as I dont really want to have a Figgen. Thanks!
Yeah, there's a lot involved in getting a Viggen front bumper to fit right. I did it a number of years back when I got a nice insurance payout after an SUV ripped my front bumper off and made this thread:

Of course the prices I listed there have changed, and not all of the parts are even available anymore, but it will give you an idea of what's involved. Finding a Viggen or a 2003 convertible with with the Sport Package would be much better, at least for getting all of the little parts.

·
Registered
19,182 Posts
I'd never discourage anyone from getting a parts car for swaps... especially if you have a place to store it or to keep a lot of pulled parts. Or maybe just to get what you need, sell off some parts to cover your costs, and get a few bucks from the junkyard for the hulk.

BUT, all you really need is the SE bumper cover in front. Side skirts and rear would be a bonus though.

FYI - You could reinstall that Integra lip below the SE lip (if you want to have all the wonderful issues associated with a Viggen bumper and curbs/steep driveways :- ) . I was looking at a 1" Ebay rubber lip below the SE lip to get just a little more front end, without the super-low Viggen issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd never discourage anyone from getting a parts car for swaps... especially if you have a place to store it or to keep a lot of pulled parts. Or maybe just to get what you need, sell off some parts to cover your costs, and get a few bucks from the junkyard for the hulk.

BUT, all you really need is the SE bumper cover in front. Side skirts and rear would be a bonus though.

FYI - You could reinstall that Integra lip below the SE lip (if you want to have all the wonderful issues associated with a Viggen bumper and curbs/steep driveways :- ) . I was looking at a 1" Ebay rubber lip below the SE lip to get just a little more front end, without the super-low Viggen issues.
Yeah I actually need a rear axle which is why I am considering a parts car. It already has SE side skirts and rear bumper, but I do need a few other odds and ends. Doesn't appear that many of the later model 5 door parts are interchangeable with the 3 door.

I have no intention of reinstalling the ITR lip, looking to restore some of the Saab look, including Saab wheels. Besides it was really beat up and broken. I had to remove it for shipping and it wouldn't last long at all here in Michigan.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oddly enough the car in the video below seems to match almost perfectly to yours.
I'm not sure if you are going to be replacing the side skirts and the rear bumper as well.
There is a video that describes some of the issues with the tabs that connect the áero'kits together. Bumper discussion is around 12.00 mark.

Yes thats the same car! I bought it from Craig last year. Doesnt see a lot of driving time as it needs some work, but its faaasst lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts