SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. This is my first post here, I'm interested in becoming a first time Saab owner. The reason for my post is this. I'm looking at the 99-2001 93's, and I'm wondering what I should be looking out for on these cars. Is there a certain year in this span that is better or worse than another? Any information at all on these cars would definately be helpful. Thanks!

Jerel

·
Registered
633 Posts
Here is a good place to start and welcome to the SC!

http://www.saabcentral.com/techhelp/gm900_93_index.php

that link is full of information on the 900's and the 9-3's. There is a good ng900 guide that you can follow when buying a 900 and/or a 9-3 since most of the same guts are in both. I will totally say that make sure you have good records on the car, and/or from reliable dealership. My first saab i got had all the paperwork and ran like a top (did have one problem but showed up a long time later...) and now i have a viggen and been problem free for the length of time i have owned it. I am currently running into my first little problem but nothing to say dont buy a saab for.

I would say read though that link , read the following posts that will be here soon (evening time is a good time for replies...) and have fun!

P.S. -=- If you get the saab you are looking for... post some pics!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help so far guys. I am indeed looking for a Viggen. I've heard nothing but good things about them. It seems that they're pretty rare and relatively hard to find. How easy should it be to be able to talk a dealer down to the Blue Book price on one of these? I've found one here in St. Louis so far but the dealer wants 19k for a 2000 model. I think the 2000 should retail for somewhere around 16k possibly, at least according to edmunds. I'll check these links out though. And I'll definately post pics if and when I get one. Thanks again!

Jerel

·
Registered
633 Posts
If you get a viggen.. be carful.... not from the car, but those on teh forums that may start to envy you a little too much... :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In looking for a 9-3 Viggen, it seems they're very rare and hard to find. I was looking on Saab's website yesterday and noticed the 9-2x. What do you all think about the 9-2 in comparison to the 9-3 Viggen. After that GM employee discount for everyone thing going on, I can get a brand new 9-2 for pretty close to the same price I can find a 9-3. How do those 2 cars really stack up to one another? Thanks for the advice!

Jerel

·
Registered
57 Posts
92 V Viggen

Going by the reviews here in the UK the 92 is really a Subaru imprezza with a new body! Subaru apparently will not allow Saab to sell them in the UK because they are suppose to blow the Imprezza away! and that takes something! I think the 92 is permanent 4 wheel drive which won't compare with the 93 aero or viggen's leather skirted rollercoaster handling! However, am pretty sure the Saab purists will argue the 92 ain't a Saab! however, you will g-teed huge smiles for your $'s if you can get deal on the 92!
I think there are plenty of Viggen's around as long as your patient, however, if you can get a 92 for the same money...I'd go for it. At least you know it's brand new and has a full warranty. As you can pretty much pick up from the forum, if simething goes badlywrong with your car, it may cost you a lot of $'s to fix!
Good Luck

·
Registered
328 Posts
regarding the 9-2x...

i'm sure it's a great car, but... honestly. it's a subaru, not a saab. if you're in the market for a scooby... why go to a saab dealer?? subaru has been making subarus for a lot longer than saab has, so i'm sure they'd be a better resource ;)

19K does sound a bit high for a 2000 vig, depending on the mileage/condition/etc. tell us more about the car and we'll be happy to give more input...

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
NCviggen said:
i'm sure it's a great car, but... honestly. it's a subaru, not a saab. if you're in the market for a scooby... why go to a saab dealer?? subaru has been making subarus for a lot longer than saab has, so i'm sure they'd be a better resource
Let's see:
A) It's cheaper then a Subie
B) Sexier then a Subie
C) Has a better suspension then the Subie
D) More options standard then the Subie
E) 2 years free sched maintenance

·
Registered
328 Posts
thanks for the schooling cleve. rest assured my comments were based purely on personal opinion, not on fact :roll: i should have done my homework before running my mouth ;oops: ;oops:

still don't think it can compare to the viggen. again, based on biased personal opinion. can we hear more about the one you're looking at Jerel?

·
Banned
89 Posts
9-2x

CleveSaab said:
Let's see:
A) It's cheaper then a Subie
B) Sexier then a Subie
C) Has a better suspension then the Subie
D) More options standard then the Subie
E) 2 years free sched maintenance

9-2X are ugly and wont have the ride of a 9-3!!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sure, well, they've moved the price down on the Viggen, I think I can get it for 16k, maybe even less, I told them I'd give 15k for it, but I'm still waiting for my bank to get back to me on how much I can get for the car for financing. The car looks pretty nice inside and out, I test drove it the other day, seems to run good. I ran through a lot of the items on the list for the NG900, nothing seems to be out of place. It has 54000 miles on it and is a 2000 model, 2 door black car. 15000 is the uppermost price range for me right now, so this may not be a doable deal. I've been looking into the 4 door SE and the 2 door or 4 door 185hp 9-3. These are still very attractive cars to me and much MUCH cheaper than the Viggen. Problem is, still seems like they're relatively hard to find around the St. Louis area, most of the are autos, which I don't really want. Seems like the with Stage 1 or Stage 2 ECU's, the other non Viggen models can be as fast as the Viggen. What kind of side affects would I have from throwing a Stage 1 or 2 on a 9-3? Thanks for the help!

Jerel

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
i second cleve, in that the 9-2x is cheaper than a subie hahahaha just because no one really wants it.

the viggen has its quirks and such... blown motors.. blah blah blah... it all comes down to how u treat it.

I would suggest a 9-3 and do a lot of suspension work and u r set....
good luck bud

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
shook187 said:
9-2X are ugly and wont have the ride of a 9-3!!!
When you say ride, you don't mean how it "rides" on the road do you? I cannot think of a car with a much harsher stock ride than my 9-3, except a true sports car. And I know that a viggen would be even harsher.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
ya doug is right.. until u change the suspension, the viggen is gonna b rough.. the 9-2s will outhandle it stock for stock.... but i think that person may have been talking about a 9-3ss i hope

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
He was certainly refering to the SS....which must stand for SUPER SUSPENSION. :cheesy:

It's firm like a sport cars but sweet like a Caddy. Love the SS suspension...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What are the main differences between the 9-3 SE or the 185hp 9-3 and the Viggen, besides the additional hp?

Also, what suspension does the SS have on them? Is this something that's easily upgradable on a non SS?

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Besides HP/Torque, Viggen has:
-Slightly better seats
-Suspension is a bit tighter
-Different interior colors
Really I think that's about it. It's very similar to her sisters. She (the VIG) was just like a special edition 9-3.
Oh, and there never was an automatic Viggen...could only get a manual.

I don't think it's even remotely possible to put an SS suspension on a S/SE.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ah, I see. So getting say a PCC for an S or SE would make the HP and torque the same as the Vig, then I'd just have to worry about the seats. Although, the seats in the Vig are SUPER nice. Also, I think there are some body mods for the Viggen. Wonder if you can get those somewhere online though, anyone know about that?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts