SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I had the bushing in the shifter cable on my 2000 fail. It must have broken apart and fell out of the car at some point, because when I went to leave a parking garage, the shifter flopped all the way back with no resistance. Thanks to all of the posts I've read on SaabCentral, after a couple moments of minor panic, the bushing came to mind, and I popped the hood to see the cable floating above the lever on the top of the transmission. I was able to set the cable back down on the post, get the car into reverse and then drive, and got back to work. I ordered the UP1KIT bushing from Bushing Fix on Amazon for $20, got it the next day, and installed it over the weekend. The steps were very easy, although I should remember to take pictures for posterity's sake.

1) Disconnect and remove battery
2) Unbolt battery tray
3) Remove clip from shifter cable bracket on top of transmission, squeeze tabs on cable, and slide it back and out of the bracket
4) Assemble bushing and installation parts on the cable and press together with some Channellock-style pliers
5) Push the cable down onto the shift lever on the transmission and squeeze it onto the lever with the same Channellock pliers
6) Reassemble and enjoy your quick and easy fix!

The whole thing took me roughly 15 minutes to replace, including a moment of incredibly stupidity. Don't try to unbolt the lever from the top of the transmission unless you have the emergency brake on or the wheels chocked. All you'll do at first is shift the car out of park, and more moments of panic will occur. :eek:

·
Registered
302 Posts
I noticed this starting to happen on my 2006 a couple of years ago, and wasn't aware of the these kits. Since mine hadn't completely disintegrated, I used gorilla glue in the space where the bushing was wearing out. I put some tape on the underside, then added gorilla glue from the top, then a little tape over the top. After letting it cure overnight I removed the tape. All's been well.

Looks like Bushing Fix has a legit fix for the 5sp auto: SB1Kit. If my gorilla glue hack job ever dies, I'll order that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts