SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Saab published a method in the WIS to change out all of the transmission fluid in the later 5-speed models, which is detailed over on SaabWorld:

http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=474

The WIS method is a few posts down from the start.

I decided to use the same method to change out the fluid on my 2000, which hadn't been done in about 50K miles, but apparently the 4-speed has the cooler lines reversed. I found a service manual for the AW50-42L here:

http://www.vectra-club.ru/images4faq/ova/AKPP/50-42LE.pdf

According to that, the cooler outlet is the one closest to the driver's side of the car, on the body of the transmission itself. The inlet is on the valve body cover. After figuring that out, changing the fluid per the WIS method was a piece of cake. If you take off the inlet hose, about 1.5 quarts will pour out. When you take off the outlet hose, almost nothing comes out, until you start the car, of course.

I had a barbed banjo fitting that was the right size (I had bought that years ago for some other use), attached it to a piece of hose, and drained the fluid into a graduated container that I picked up at a restaurant supply store. It's clear plastic, holds about 5 quarts, and is marked in 2 quart and 2 liter increments. I had my wife turn the car on and off while I watched the container fill. It takes well under a minute to drain 2 quarts. The fluid that came out of the cooler outlet was surprisingly dirty.

After changing out 8 quarts via the WIS method, the transmission shifts noticeably better. I don't intend to go 50K miles before the next fluid change. I'll probably cut that down to 20K since the old 4-speed uses cheap Dexron III fluid.

Another fun fact I noticed about the 4-speed vs. the 5-speed. There are no shift adaptation tables to reset. I waded through the menus on my new Tech 2, and the option is not there. The WIS confirms it. The 4-speed's TCM has 3 different adaptive shifting programs that are activated depending on the transmission fluid's temperature.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Good info to have, I've got no Auto Saab's right now, except for Dads Vert.

On my wifes Mazda, I've pretty much resigned myself to a drain and fill every other oil change (which works out about every 10k miles). It seems to be working OK, and takes about 4 quarts but I have to measure it out because the pan holds a bit more. So far, it has been staying pretty clean, but I think for the first 112k miles of its life it had never been done!

·
Registered
10,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds about like my parents' old 1997 Pontiac. I don't think its transmission fluid was changed, either, for at least the first 100,000 miles. It amazes me that the transmission still performed as well as it did. I definitely prefer the simplicity of the manual transmission on my '97 900.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I personally find that the best way to change the trans oil is to use a suction pump to pull out as much as you can, and then add fresh fluid drive a bit and then repeat.

Not the WIS method but very effective and not jacking and draining etc.

For me this is the only way to do it.

Just my experience from years of doing this.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Dexron VI is backwards compatible and synthetic. I've used it in many transmissions built when Dex II/III was specified.

Have two Aisin transmissions running over 50K miles since swapping over to D-VI and am pleased with the results, especially the cold temp operating performance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts