SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If i replace the SID in the dash with a used one does it need to be reprogrammed (Tech ll )to my car?
If i just replace the ribbon on my existing SID would that have to be reprogrammed (Tech ll ) or will it be okay

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Generally just plug it in. The only detail is whether you're switching between hardtop and convertible, in which case ideally it needs to be programmed. Although a convertible one will work fine in a hardtop, just not vice versa.

·
Registered
897 Posts
If you replace the ribbon, no need to reprogram. If you put a new SID in, it'll work but unless it has the same part number as your original, its software will be different. The basic functions will work though. Measurement units can be changed by the user, but deep parameters can't for example if one adds a parking heater and the Bosch circulation pump, the SID has to be told by Tech 2 that this has been done, in order to start it.

If you're considering a use SID you need to see its display working before buying! Also, have individual elements gone dead or are the numbers still there but very faint? If the latter it'll be the illumination bulbs. Bayonet fit, three of them I think.

Another possibility is the DIY repair with the hot iron (i.e. clothes pressing iron along the ribbon connections) or extra pressure (stuffing draught foam in to press the connections together).

Doug

·
Registered
195 Posts
Generally just plug it in. The only detail is whether you're switching between hardtop and convertible, in which case ideally it needs to be programmed. Although a convertible one will work fine in a hardtop, just not vice versa.
I can confirm this info...the SID in my hardtop was pulled from a 'vert. I installed it with zero programming and it still works great 8 years later.

·
Registered
392 Posts
are the numbers still there but very faint? If the latter it'll be the illumination bulbs. Bayonet fit, three of them I think.
original bulbs can be hard to find but the design is only fractionally bigger than the modern Neo-Wedge T4.7 bulb type and they can be considered interchangeable.

As on m car I wanted an orange-backlight theme I used T4.7s but removed the bulb units and fitted orange high-brightness 5mm LEDs - with a 680-ohm resistor soldered in series onto the back of the bulb holder as there wasn't space within it.

Heated seat switches have Neo Wedge T4.2s with 3mm orange LEDs and the resistor (1000 ohm) inline within the holder as space is too limited

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys you have all been most helpful i have a convertible so will have to check what car it has come from, may just check the bulbs first.

·
Registered
17,683 Posts
Thanks guys you have all been most helpful i have a convertible so will have to check what car it has come from, may just check the bulbs first.
coclem: If you have a convertible, I highly recommend replacing the map light bulbs in the rear seat with LED's. The stock bulbs will actually melt the holders if they are on very much. They are expensive to replace ($54 usd) and hard to find in a junk yard since lots of people need them. I've even heard of them being stolen out of open convertibles. LED's will solve the bulb issue permanently.

FWIW, I got my rear seat LED's from these folks: superbrightleds.com. They have them in the right socket with the resistor built right in for the wedge type W5 that goes in the map lights. You probably still need to go custom to do what Carpe did in his SID.

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
coclem: If you have a convertible, I highly recommend replacing the map light bulbs in the rear seat with LED's. The stock bulbs will actually melt the holders if they are on very much. They are expensive to replace ($54 usd) and hard to find in a junk yard since lots of people need them. I've even heard of them being stolen out of open convertibles. LED's will solve the bulb issue permanently.
Are those the little round lights that fit somewhere in the side trim?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

FWIW, I got my rear seat LED's from these folks: superbrightleds.com. They have them in the right socket with the resistor built right in for the wedge type W5 that goes in the map lights. You probably still need to go custom to do what Carpe did in his SID.

Thanks for the link i will get some LEDs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts