SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve looked around for an answer, can’t seem to find much on this model.

it starts with starter fluid but dies shortly after.
I’m thinking the fuel pump might be the culprit but in not sure where it’s located.
I was also going to check a vacuum line diagram to replace all the lines since they’re really old. However, i can’t seem to find an exact diagram.

anyone have any experience with these Or know of anything else I should look into?
thanks.

EDIT: just saw a link in the FAQ I’m going to look at.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Fuel pump is in tank. You can see the wiring under the plastic cover under the rear seat, but not much else. You can either drop the fuel tank to replace it or cut a hole in the floor. Fans of each option run about 50/50.

But before you consider replacement, You should test the pressure. I don't believe there's a test valve on your 900/T5's fuel rail, so someone else will need to advise on testing pressure.

Did you just buy this? The usual first step is to replace fuel and air filters, plugs (NGK BCPR6/7ES only), and all small vac lines. Slice lines off fittings, don't pull. Do one line at a time, one end at a time. You need 10' of 5/32" / 4mm hose. Google the IAC valve - clean it with carb cleaner; pour a little synthetic oil in there; let drip out and then reinstall. Look over other vac lines. Oil change & filter for good measure. Clean throttle body with TB cleaner.

See if that gets you anywhere. If not you can start looking at other things.

Oh, and here's the factory manual and parts catalog. If you don't have a windows machine, there's an on-line version, but it's even worse than the original windows software:

WIS/EPC download: WIS and EPC for Windows 10 - SaabCentral Forums
On-line: SAAB Workshop Information System Online – SAAB WIS Online

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply! I’ll get to checking all of that out and do a little more research before I get to the pump.

I drove it back in 2013 for a year. Then my brother drove it for awhile and now he gave it to me.
it’s been sitting for about 2 years, so I’m probably gonna end up replacing the fuel as well.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Yeah... sitting is not good for these cars. You'll have a lot of stuff to do that was OK when it was stored. If there's not a lot of gas in there, just fill the tank to mix it up. If there's a lot, you might need to find someone to take it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, there’s quite a bit. I tried to siphon it out. But it looks like that’s not gonna work. Idk if I can get it to cycle out when I pull the filter or not. I just don’t want to throw a ton of money into it having someone else fix it.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
You can disconnect a fuel line at the fuel filter, then jumper the pump at the fuse box ... that will pump out the old fuel OR let you know the pump is dead. Either way.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I had a no start on my 900NG that was caused by a bad electrical connection from ECU to fuel pump relay. try bridging the fuel pump relay contacts to force the pump to ON before replacing anything else

1 - 8 of 8 Posts