SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After Changing the Head Gasket on 2.3L Turbo 9-5 due to coolant being in two of the cylinders the engine will not start.

The head was professionally machined and checked with new valve stem seals etc and a full VRS set used, I have spark through the new Ignition Cassette and plugs, fuel pressure is good, I believe the timing was correctly set as all off the marks lined up, the engine cranks over, there is no rattle from the chain and i can hear the odd fire but it will not start.

If anyone has any ideas please help me out, much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
all the hoses and wires get hooked up? positive the timing is right? happen to trip limp home mode maybe on the throttle body? I've done quiet a few headgaskets including one in the garage right now for a customer, any CEL codes?

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Did you remove the fuse to the FP to do the job? can you hear the FP when the key is turned on? How's the fuel pressure at the fuel rail?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just a thought Since you had water in 2 cylinders did you open the sumptank to clean because for sure the water ended down.It is possible the mixture of oil and cooling fluid to have blanked off your CPS .Take it out and clean it and check and double check your sumptank. Have you checked your combustion rate (should be around 12 per cylinder ). If the water stayed long maybe compression rings get stack
Best of luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can hear the FP and my scanner is showing it to be on, the pressure seams to be quite good at the rail. I already took off the sump cleaned it right out including the pick up and have fresh oil in it, I will check the CPS next

·
Registered
427 Posts
Interestingly enough, I'm having this same problem after having the head off for a piston change.

My symptoms are almost identical to yours, with the occasional fire, but no start... and have checked and rechecked almost everything.

Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Same happened to me back , the problem was in my haste to put everything back I missed some earth/ground coloured black wires situated around the thermostat sensor area. This problem gave me a serious pain for days before I re-traced my tracks. Worth checking I'd advise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.