SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

the car isnt mine, its my friends car. on the passenger side lower engine mount, the bolt sheared off into that bracket. i managed to extract it but the head of the bolt and all of thatis missing. i scoured the internet (and this site) looking for the bolt size but have come up with nothing but what size wrench to use to tighten it. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Here is what the mount looks like:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, I've seen that link. i'm not looking for a tutorial on how to replace an engine mount, i'm looking for the actual size of the bolt. IE: bolt size, thread count, length, is it shoulder bolt?, etc

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
I'd be more inclined to buy a new mount, which will come with a bolt. It seems like something must've happened to the mount in order for the bolt to shear off. I don't know the thread size or length, but it's a standard Allen head bolt, not a shoulder bolt, so you could probably find something that works at a store with a good bolt selection (not Lowe's or Home Depot).

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
yea, I've seen that link. i'm not looking for a tutorial on how to replace an engine mount, i'm looking for the actual size of the bolt. IE: bolt size, thread count, length, is it shoulder bolt?, etc
It posts the head size of the bolts which is what I thought you were referring to.

Take a piece of the the bolt you salvage from the head and find a similar one. Use a small stick and insert it into the threaded hole in the head, then measure the thickness of the mount where the bolt goes through the mount with a stick as well. That'll give you a rough length. Maybe subtract a 1/4". The section you salvaged can then be placed directly on a new bolt, if the threads are the same, they'll mesh perfectly together. If the thread is too fine or coarse, they won''t mesh. Other option is order a new mount, take the dimensions from the new bolt, then return the mount saying it's the wrong one. Or, go to a boneyard and find one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Does anyone know the thread pitch or length? id much rather not use a stick... also, i'm assuming its partially threaded, yea? normally id measure thread count but i can't seem to find my tool anywhere.
thanks

Jeremy: nothing wrong with the mount...asside from my friend driving like a raging d-head and sheered it off lol its not in his budget anyways.

*edit*
looks to be 1.25mm thread count

·
Registered
493 Posts
bolt size info

bolt has 8mm allen drive and is 65mm long including 5mm of tapered pilot to help start it. It is threaded 10x1.5mm. Oil leaking from crank pulley seal usually ruins rubber in the mount, resulting in oil pan resting on subframe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts