SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a Saab 1998 900 SE Turbo with an idling problem. After a few minutes of idling, the engine seems to "chug" every 15-20 seconds or so. Every once in a while, the entire car actually stall out. I have replaced the IAC valve and PCV nipple, as well as checked for vacuum leaks using carb cleaner, but the problem persists. Any ideas on what the problem is? Any insight would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
18,535 Posts
Change the plugs... how old is your DIC? Do you have a spare to test with?

Change your fuel filter too, air filter if it needs it. Run a bottle of Techron Fuel System Cleaner through the next half tank, then maybe another one.

·
Registered
240 Posts
the purge valve has a tendancy to fail on these cars. located in the passenger side strut tower about a 1/2 ft down. My car would drive fine idle fine then shut off randomly, replaced it with a junkyard one and no issues since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re

I've already tested the purge valve with a spare, which doesn't seem to have any affect on the idling. I don't think that is the problem unfortunately.

As far as I know, the DIC has never been replaced. I'll have to kick around a few junk yards and find a spare to test with. I'll also look into the air and fuel filters.

Could the problem possibly result from a bad PCV check valve? I pulled mine out yesterday, and it basically crumbled to bits in my fingers because it was so old and clogged with oil sludge. I just ordered a new one.

Also, another part of the problem: when I fill up at a gas station, the car has trouble starting, and, when it finally does, runs at a really low idle. I have to throw it into drive and accelerate really quickly to stop it from stalling out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts