SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now and again I get blue smoke from the exhaust - sometimes only slight other times in large copious - wallet worrying - amounts. Last night it happened just as I pulled into the pub car park. Thought I might have to stay there the night. When I returned to the car no sign of any smoke at all.
Reading the forums - I was wondering whether the problem could be associated with failings in the engine breather - PCV system - pressurising the turbo oil seals.
Has any one any better ideas?

·
Registered
343 Posts
My 1999 9-5 had the same problem. I also thought it was turbo but for the fact that the turbo worked fantastic. It turned out to be the back flow pressure sump. Seems that SAAB had a bad design for this part/system the return holes were too small for the amount of pressure which causes the pressure to build up in the engine and causes the oil to blow back by the valves into the combustion chamber which then gets burned the next time around causing your blue smoke usually after deceleration. There are two kits so get the second redesign should be about $65 I had mine installed for about $150 but you should be able to do it yourself if you are handy. All that is in the kit is a new sump and a bunch of hoses. Good luck!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
swedishmercedes said:
My 1999 9-5 had the same problem. I also thought it was turbo but for the fact that the turbo worked fantastic. It turned out to be the back flow pressure sump. Seems that SAAB had a bad design for this part/system the return holes were too small for the amount of pressure which causes the pressure to build up in the engine and causes the oil to blow back by the valves into the combustion chamber which then gets burned the next time around causing your blue smoke usually after deceleration. There are two kits so get the second redesign should be about $65 I had mine installed for about $150 but you should be able to do it yourself if you are handy. All that is in the kit is a new sump and a bunch of hoses. Good luck!
Yes the PCV system is flawed which is why we recommend using the latest kit on pre 2004 cars ;)

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42258

1 - 4 of 4 Posts