SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone point me to where in the trunk the fuel pump ground is? I seem to have a problem when shifting the 5-speed manual into reverse - the engine starts missing and wants to stall. It doesn't do this in 1st through 5th, so I think that the reverse lights are taking power away from the fuel pump. Today, I also found out that while driving normally and switching on the rear window defroster, the same thing happens. So, I think there may be a loose ground in the rear of the car. Maybe the G404 below left rear light cluster.

Also, can anyone tell me exactly where it is? Is it under the trunk liner, inside the tail light housing, etc? I assume that it's some kind of stud that sticks up.

As a last resort, I can run a jumper from the fuel pump to a good ground for testing purposes.

Well, I found a workaround. I pulled the reverse light connector off the transmission and removed the 30A fuse for the rear window heater. So, I shouldn't have to worry about using reverse or having the rear window defroster coming on if I use the windshield defroster. But, I would still like to find, clean and lubricate that G404 ground point.

TIA Ron

·
Registered
12,796 Posts
The ground point is on the floor of the trunk, on the drivers side rear corner (kind of where the CD changer would be mounted). Its behind/under the carpet so you would need to pull it back.

Definitely seems like classic bad ground problems. I like to relocate it up on the side of the trunk (like where the antenna mounts/ground to).

·
Registered
12,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jake, does this mean that I have to remove the CD player to get at the ground point? I currently have some WD-40 soaking into the 4 CD player mounting screws... Ron

·
Registered
12,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I finally found it. It was a "loose" ground cable with a washer & nut (maybe 10mm) at the furthest point back in the corner of the floor on the drivers' side of the hatch. I assume that it was bolted through the floor at some point before the floor rusted away from below. Anyway, I took a clip lead and grounded the cable to a clean ground and everything (all lights and fuel pump) seem to be much better. I'm going to connect that cable to a good ground point with a lug, sheet metal screw and washer.. Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts