SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 Saab 9000 CDE

Nutshell version: no more chirp sound with lock/unlock, all the doors still lock and unlock with fob. All the lights still blink when I lock/unlock. Thoughts?

Long version:
Had some problems with the battery (dropped cell and -20 degree weather). During the coldest days the car had a rough/no start. Would have to jumpstart it if I wanted it running. The volts where good, just couldn't handle any load. So I bought a new battery, the car is running like new. However, during this debacle, the chirp stopped working. No triple beep for the trunk or double beep for doors. The fob works perfectly and all doors lock/unlock with fob or in-car controls. The headlights/sidelights still blink when I use the fob too. I miss the chirp and hoping it's just a relay or fuse. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Mine does this too but only in the coldest of weather. And then usually once until the car warms up. As long as the fob locks and unlocks everything, doesn't bother me much...but I'm far from a purist says the guy who has taken his 9K on Poison Spider 4wd trail :roll:

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
1997 Saab 9000 CDE

Nutshell version: no more chirp sound with lock/unlock, all the doors still lock and unlock with fob. All the lights still blink when I lock/unlock. Thoughts?

Long version:
Had some problems with the battery (dropped cell and -20 degree weather). During the coldest days the car had a rough/no start. Would have to jumpstart it if I wanted it running. The volts where good, just couldn't handle any load. So I bought a new battery, the car is running like new. However, during this debacle, the chirp stopped working. No triple beep for the trunk or double beep for doors. The fob works perfectly and all doors lock/unlock with fob or in-car controls. The headlights/sidelights still blink when I use the fob too. I miss the chirp and hoping it's just a relay or fuse. Thoughts?
The horn is supplied with voltage on one side at all times. When the VSS is armed/disarmed (or the alarm is set off) the control module connects the other leg to ground - which operates the horn. The duration of the connection to ground from the horn is extremely short.

Once, I was trying to diagnose a non-horn condition. After confirming voltage on the yellow (hot) lead, the next thing to check was that a ground path was being created by the module when the doors were locked/unlocked. At first I thought that the module wasn't grounding the negative leg. Actually it was, but it is over so quick that my digital VOM didn't have time to react.

Anyway long story short, turns out that because of the minimal time it is operated, the diaphragm in the horn can get stiff and won't vibrate in response to that very brief period where it is grounded.

To get it back to normal didn't even require pulling it out from under the fender. I just broke the two pin connector in front of the engine fuse box:

And applied an external 12VDC power supply to the horn. It just kind of grumbled at first, then it began to make a steady low boop. I kept the juice on it and it kept getting louder and louder. When I was done, I plugged it back in and tried it with the system. I couldn't believe the difference. Even when it worked prior to that, it was nowhere near as loud as it was after a good long workout. Try that, it should bring it back and more. If it doesn't and you want to pull it, here is the procedure:

1 Remove the front left-hand direction indicator.
2 Unplug the horn's connector (in the engine bay).
3 Carefully press the air cleaner intake pipe down (secure with
screwdriver).
4 Undo the nut securing the horn and lift out the horn.
5 Install in reverse order.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Mine does this too but only in the coldest of weather. And then usually once until the car warms up. As long as the fob locks and unlocks everything, doesn't bother me much...but I'm far from a purist says the guy who has taken his 9K on Poison Spider 4wd trail :roll:
The PO's question is well answered so I'll indulge a tangent...

Wait What?!
Poison Spider 4wd trail? In Moab? The whole way?! And you didn't tear off the stupidly placed oil filter? I've dented mine on far simpler roads -- makes me paranoid. Skid plate is so necessary for the soft underbelly of the beast.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Haha! The plan was to get to the overlook but about 1/4 of the way up we got stopped by an Xterra that was having trouble getting through a wide wash.

That said, My 9k often goes places where the only other vehicles there are 4wd trucks. My latest "mad scientist" musings have me imagining cutting the wheel wells and stuffing bigger and knobbier tires in there...but at that point I'd have come full circle back to being a Jeep guy :lol:

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Haha! The plan was to get to the overlook but about 1/4 of the way up we got stopped by an Xterra that was having trouble getting through a wide wash.

That said, My 9k often goes places where the only other vehicles there are 4wd trucks. My latest "mad scientist" musings have me imagining cutting the wheel wells and stuffing bigger and knobbier tires in there...but at that point I'd have come full circle back to being a Jeep guy :lol:
You'd still be getting twice the mpg!

Cringe: I looked at a SaaberRu...
I've decided my ol' Scout will resume being my DD when my 9K dies...

And I hear rumors of some 9K tranny parts now being no longer available new.
This is why I broke faith with the C900. Truly the better built rally saab!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts