SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been quite a while since I've been active on the site, don't know if this is kosher or not. Finally giving up on the old girl. I'll strip her and scrap her if I must, but wanted to offer what's left of her here first.

The Good
Good running engine and tranny.
Finally nailed down the front suspension - tight and true.
Waterproof top.
Drove the car all summer.
Relatively new catalytic converter and O2 sensors (Bosch)
New clockspring
New radiator and water pump
New brake system from the ABS out three years ago

The Worst
Cancer in the body - floor pans and elsewhere in the unibody - bad pothole this spring cracked the windshield, I suspect body flex - car won't pass inspection without new windshield, is currently uninspected, unregistered and uninsured
Power top mechanism is gone, stripped out - long ago converted to manual

A new windshield and this car should be able to pass inspection and be drivable, but this is the point at which I cut my losses.
I have the title.
The car starts and drives, but would need to be towed - it's been off the road since August and everything is getting a little sticky - throttle cable, shifter, brakes - I wouldn't recommend driving it further than 50 feet or so, which is what I did recently.

if anybody's interested, shoot me an email at [email protected]

I'll post pics later

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Should have listed my location - I'm about five miles from the border crossing into Canada on US Interstate 81, on Wellesley Island

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figure it will bring more than 500 on ebay if I strip it and sell the carcass for scrap.

My price as a running, rolling wreck is $500

·
Registered
1997 900SE 'vert
132 Posts
Am curious about your top manual conversion. Noticed your 5thbow latches appear to be fastened. How does/did it work?

·
Registered
18,370 Posts
Am curious about your top manual conversion. Noticed your 5thbow latches appear to be fastened. How does/did it work?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actuated the latches by hand, through the trunk, through the boot/bag.

Never devised a satisfactory method of securing the boot cover/rear deck when the top was down - relied on bungee cords.

And raising the top by hand, alone, was difficult. If I could go back twelve years when I converted it, I think I would have been better off bypassing the top controller module and working the motors by hand, with separate switches.

·
Registered
1997 900SE 'vert
132 Posts
I actuated the latches by hand, through the trunk, through the boot/bag.

Never devised a satisfactory method of securing the boot cover/rear deck when the top was down - relied on bungee cords.

And raising the top by hand, alone, was difficult. If I could go back twelve years when I converted it, I think I would have been better off bypassing the top controller module and working the motors by hand, with separate switches.
Thx for relating your experience. LOL, not sure about wiring the motors separately, may be more complex than it's worth. The tonneau cover is the main complexity, biggest change from the c900. From my research, it's the main fail point. True, the control unit gets confused at times, probably due to bad input from switches/sensors. Motors are straightforward. Going manual would be easy if not for the tonneau latches (and 5th bow), IMHO.

Good luck on your sale.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts