SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to increase the noise from my exhaust as I like to actually hear the engine as it aids shifting. I don't want it to be too loud or ricey, but would be nice if it had a deep, throaty sound. I was thinking replacing one of the mufflers with a louder muffler, or maybe a glasspack. I'm not looking to redo my whole exhaust, just some extra sound. Has anyone done something similar? Mufflers/glasspacks to recommend? Things to be wary of such as O2 sensors, or possible interference with turbo back pressure? That last doesn't quite make sense to me, but saw some concerns elsewhere on the forums, not sure if it is a legitimate concern.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
952 Posts
There are no backpressure / O2 sensor issues with swapping out mufflers.

Have an exhaust shop delete your intermediate muffler, then decide if that's enough sound before spending any more money.

I'm running an intermediate aftermarket glasspack leading into the largest 2.75" Magnaflow stainless glasspack that would fit the car.

It's quiet, deep and mellow with zero interior drone and probably not what you're looking for. Try Flowmaster.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What if I straight pipe just the rear muffler? How much difference in sound would that make?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I once inserted a straight pipe for the Big Resonator muffler thing that's in front of the rear muffler.
Simply cuz the can had grown a hole and the pipe substitute was easy.
Sounds were a little bit deeper but even the wife barely noticed a difference.
I've since replaced the centre muffler/straight pipe bodge with an oem unit.
Purely because the previous setups' pipes finally rotted out.
When / if the new centre muffler rots out, I'll refit a straight pipe.
Deleting the rear muffler may work. But I'm not curious enough to try.
G'luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So any suggestions for mufflers that don't have a drone but open up with some throttle? The cheaper the better.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Magnaflow 3" middle with Abbott Racing rear on full 3" s/steel system was very loud on hard throttle with lots of back cackles on letoff. Has quieted with age.

Never drones, but wakes everyone up on full boost.
Tests 84 to 88 db at tracks at 4k rpm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts