SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Before I drop a bunch of money having my local mechanic TRY to figure out my speedometer issue... I figured I'd ask some people who probably have a lot more knowledge with Saab 900's.

I just bought a 1997 900 Automatic Transmission. The previous owners said the car has had an issue with the speedometer as long as they've had it (2 years). It's at 0mph when no moving... as soon as I begin to drive, it climbs to 40 mph within about 1 second flat. There it stays until I come to a stop.

I'm wondering, what do you think it COULD be... and is it worth dropping the money into it... or should I just pick up a tomtom gps that displays current speed? (Only issue with the GPS is that it doesn't ALWAYS come in where I live - backwoods Vermont).

If you have any insight, advice, whatever... I'd appreciate it!

Thanks all.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
When my son bought the car (mine now) the speedometer would only work sometimes. It would never go higher that 35 mph most of the time. If he hit any bumps, it ould go higher for a few seconds. It turned out to be the instrument cluster, which I bought on eBay for $50 shipped.

Also, be aware that the speedometer, odometer, and cruise control use the ABS signals. If the odometer and cruise is working, it could be the cluster. If you have ABS alarms, it could be the ABS unit or a wheel sensor.

If the DTG (distance to go) on the SID works and is accurate, it's probably the instrument cluster... Ron

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Maybe the use of a Tech2 could detect the defect.
FWIW, I suspect the speedo itself, but this is but a guess.
Check the rear Hall effect sensor that transmits a signal to the ABS ECU and then to the speedometer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys... question.

I'm looking at eBay right now...

I'm going to buy a new cluster, and the non-turbo clusters are all the same except that some display the mileage in a digital format and others use the non-digital format.

I'm pretty sure my girlfriend's car is non-digital... but all of those are about $89... the digital ones are quite a bit cheaper. Do you think I could use a digital one and everything would still work EXCEPT for the mileage?

Thanks in advance,
Josh

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
If the car is in the range of '94-'98, those clusters should work. If it's in the range of '99-'02, those clusters should work. Don't mix a newer cluster with an older cluster or vise-versa... Ron

·
Registered
867 Posts
I had some speedo problems with my '97 900se cutting out and I ripped it apart to try and fix it. Supposedly, the problems are caused by a bad circuit board connection at resistor R13 but I never could find it. In the end I bought a cheap replacement and just swapped it out. Removing it from the dashboard is not as horrible as I expected.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts