SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I bought a really sweet & clean 1997 900 S about two weeks ago. It's a 5-door. The factory Clarion stereo with CD changer works fine. And it does have the optional door sub-woofers.

I need to replace at least the rear speakers. I confirmed that they are simple dual cone standard 6x9s. What's weird is that every reference I've checked says they are 4x10s, but they are not. The foam surrounds are just dried and deteriorated. Otherwise, they did sound fine until I pushed them too far and the foam broke away.

I'm looking at some JBL GTO928 two-ways. They are highly rated and moderately priced. But, I could go with much cheaper simple Kenwood or BOSS dual cone units. I'd like to keep the stock stereo, so I'm not sure if usng two-ways in the rear is a good idea. What is your opinion or experience?

Is it necessary to remove the door panels to get at the sub-woofers? I tried to pull one of the grills off, but it seemed to be fastened from the rear and I did't want to break it.

I might also need to replace those speakers if I upgrade the rears. But, so far they are working fine. I realize that if I replace them, I'll need to use a single driver component type speaker, since they are crossed for low frequency only. But I do want to confirm the size. I believe I read somewhere that they are 6.5", but since the references to the rears was wrong I want to confirm this.

Also, does anyone know where the sub-woofer amp is located? It's not under the seats as far as I can tell, so it must be under the dash or console. Again, I'm planning on keeping it, but I just want to look at it.

And finally, how does one remove the dash speakers? Can you lift the grills off from above and remove the speakers?

Thanks,

Demersus

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
Google "Richard Bevan Saab" and check out his Saab Audio Guide. His site will answer all of your questions and then some.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that is a lot of very useful information by Richard Bevan. Thank you very much for pointing me in that direction.

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
Hi all,

I'm looking at some JBL GTO928 two-ways. They are highly rated and moderately priced. But, I could go with much cheaper simple Kenwood or BOSS dual cone units. I'd like to keep the stock stereo, so I'm not sure if usng two-ways in the rear is a good idea. What is your opinion or experience?
I am not sure that it's to your sonic advantage to go with cheaper speakers.

It may be to your financial disadvantage to go with better speakers, because you might wind up upgrading everything. Neither the factory rear speakers nor the factory dash speakers are particularly good. I wound up swapping out both. (No door speakers on my car.)

I might also need to replace those (door --Ed.) speakers if I upgrade the rears. But, so far they are working fine. I realize that if I replace them, I'll need to use a single driver component type speaker, since they are crossed for low frequency only. But I do want to confirm the size. I believe I read somewhere that they are 6.5", but since the references to the rears was wrong I want to confirm this.
I think they're 6.5" but the info pages should tell you. I can say that the few door speakers I've looked at in the junkyard have the same issue of the foam surround going as you have seen in your rear speakers. Chances are you will have to replace the door speakers as well.

And finally, how does one remove the dash speakers? Can you lift the grills off from above and remove the speakers?
Yep, it's that easy. The dash speakers don't have foam surrounds so they'll be okay on that score. But they're not very good speakers. 3.5" aftermarket will drop right in, after you've adapted the wiring connector.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input and advice everyone. Here is what I've decided to do. I'm getting the JBL GTO928 6x9s for the rears, and the GTO328s 3.5s for the front. The GTO series seem like a very good upgrade from stock that will mate well with the Clarion head unit and stock sub-amp. They had very good ratings and quite reasonable in price on Amazon.com. I'm still pondering what to do about the 6.5s in the doors. There is a component set of the same series by JBL, but I might just go with the GTO628s 2-ways and just accept that the tweeter will be useless. But, it seems like the easiest option while keeping with the same series speaker all the way around. Plus, some day I might just pull out that sub amp and use the pre-amp out to drive a couple of full-range amps to push all six speakers. Probably not because the wiring looks like a real PITA though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts