SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here it goes...I think I'm in to deep. I purchased a used Saab yesterday.
It cranks but wont start. I was told to purchase a feul pump which I did. I did not have the money to put it in the shop so I tried to replace it myself.
We(my father and I) cut a hole in the back to expose the feul pump and then got stuck. We do not know how to take out the pump. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

LJ

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
earthworm said:
Who did the diagnosis - lets hope it is correct...??
Same comment here. I would test the fuel pump with engine and ignition off first, to make really sure the fuel pump does not work, not just that it does not get turned on during start. All it takes is a test lead or a few feet of wire, and a half-decent sense of hearing.

For example, the ECU only turns on the fuel pump after there is a valid signal from the crank position sensor during cranking. In other words, if the crank position sensor is bad, the fuel pump will not come on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Feul pump problems 2

Your responses were helpful thank you so much.
After we took off the initial blackplastic cover off to expose the top of the pump we were confused because we expected to see about 8 or 9 hex nuts instead we saw a black plastic ring covering. How do we take the next step?

Thanks again in advance

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Do you mean the ring with the small tabs facing in? It unscrews, but it takes a little force to do that. Saab actually has a tool for that, which locks between the tabs, but some people have improvised one.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8687

Before you remove the pump canister (a.k.a bucket), notice that there is a white line to mark the radial position of the canister for the correct position of the fuel level float. There should be a matching mark on the tank. The marks should line back up on re-assembly.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Saab 1997 900 said:
ahhhhhh we did the diagnostic(he says as he shrinks in his chair)
so you did apply power to the pump with engine off, and you are sure it did not run (?)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fuel Pump

Does anyone know the name of the tool or have a pic of one they made.
I know this is a silly quest. but does it turn clockwise or counter.

I've had this car one day. I got stuck at 2:00 last night in the snow dwntwn
Philadelphia with my wife. The car is still there. Sooo I must take off work to try to get it back. Is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks for your help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts