SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it is cold outside and I dont want to freeze to death figuring this out I thought I would ask on here and see if anyone can give me some insight.

First, after my old style shift linkage fell apart I updated to the new one, but it still feels like there is a lot of play from side to side. So much that when I shift into second and have to move the lever over, the linkage bar hits the side of the shift housing. I have done the alignment a couple of times and it has not helped.

Second, after changing my transmission fluid I noticed that shifting into second after first takes some effort. It feels really stiff.

Any thoughts? It is driving me crazy.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The unknowns : miles, brand of MTF ?, rods with very high mileage will stretch.. rubber will harden and crack - so, the condition of the mounts ?

Otherwise, I wish I could help.:cheesy: .. Even the VW with about 240Kmiles never had any trouble in this area and the old Saabs used a totally different design with a weak transmission good for 50K miles !

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
122k. redline MTF. mounts are good. dont know why there is so much free play from side to side. mods to that area are a short shift with the updated linkage from a 9-3

·
Registered
867 Posts
Check that the linkage anchor rod is still connected. It runs across beneath the linkage and threads in near the end of the transmission housing. There is a joint that connects to the rod that could have come loose too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
im having a very similer problem...i think (i thgouht i would jump on this thread instead of making a new one.)
I have a 1997 900se turbo with 99,000 miles and im having problems downshifting.
Ill try to downshift into 4th from 5th and it wont go in to gear very well.
Even during normal driving latley it seems that i have to shift very slowly to avoid grinding.
I dont know if this would be a problem with my clutch or my tranmission. or if i just need to adjust somthing. Any help would be appricated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i would try the shift alignment first. you can find that post in these forums if you so a search. I found my problem was a mixture of the clutch not release/engaging all of the way, being slighty out of adjustment, and having my shift lever being out of whack because of one of the c clips popping out of the groove. did a little work and got it figured out. i hate these cable transmissions. i am updating to the hydro unit as soon as funds permit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks I'll have to give that a try. I took it to a european garage near my house and i told them about how i was having trouble getting it into gear.

They told me that it was most likely the clutch cable and it would just need to be replaced becasue it can get stretched out over time. When i got it back, nope still same problem, having a hard time shownshirting and and puting the shifter into the gear slots smoothly. I'm taking it back to the garage tomarow again to see what they can do. Ill mention to then about the c clips.

I just want to be able to drive my car in a safe manner. It's kinda scary when yo cant get it into gear on the highway when there is a lot of traffic around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts