SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 900 SE turbo and my drive belt broke off while I was driving the other day so I need to replace it. If anyone knows how to replace the belt or if I even can by myself or if I need to take it to a shop let me know.
Thanks.

·
Registered
949 Posts
You can do it on your own, it would prob be alot easier if you asked in the NG 900 section though :p

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
I have a 1996 900 SE turbo and my drive belt broke off while I was driving the other day so I need to replace it. If anyone knows how to replace the belt or if I even can by myself or if I need to take it to a shop let me know.
Thanks.
It is wicked easy, you put a 1/2 drive extension in the square hole on the tensioner, you pull it so the tensioner pulley moves down, and then slip the belt over it. 5 minutes...

Make sure the belt is bad and the rest is good though. Usually the belt lasts "forever" but the idler pulley craps out (seizes, breaks, etc) and the belt jumps off. If its the idler you can bypass it with a "short belt" for free, if it is the tensioner they pulley/bearing needs to be changed.

Compared to the classic 900 the newer type is really a breeze. The problem is that there is only one belt and if it goes you are stuck on the side of the road, the C900 has like four belts so we can always MacGyver something :eek:

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
You need to look at each and every pulley to see if one of them has failed. You car has two idler pulleys, and the chances are that one failed - especially in this very cold weather. If you don't know when the idlers were last changed, change them now. You might consider doing the short belt mod - that's where you remove the middle idler pulley and use a shorter belt (6-rib 1845-mm IIRC, but do a search). That way, you have only one idler to worry about in the future... Ron

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I went to order the short belt from PFS for my 1996 NG 900s 2.3 na Manual.

They did not know what I was talking about. Where did you guys get your short belts from to take out the middle idler pulley.

The long belt and pulley were replaced 60000km ago, so i am surprised the idler pulley went again, I assume it was the same one as my daughter drives it now and she is 1000km away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts