SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a '96 (technically it's a '95, but on the paperwork it's labeled as '96) 900 S a few months ago and have had very few problems with it, (had to replace the lcd screen, the radio won't accept it's code, and the muffler is a little loud) however tonight after I took my "better half" to the mall, I was unable to unlock the doors with my remote. The car responded to the remote in its normal fashion (the "doink doink" noise, flashing lights, and the red anti-theft LED) however it did not unlock any of the doors. Figuring it was a glitch, I pressed the button a few more times, then tried to unlock the door manually. Even when I tried to unlock the door manually, the locks wouldn’t leave their locked position, and I eventually was forced to dive into the car (via the truck, which I could still open with the remote) and start the car. Once it was started, I was able to unlock all but the drivers-side door with the lock/unlock button located near the ignition, and drive her and myself home.
I was thinking that perhaps someone has tried to break into my car while I was at the mall, but due to my lack of a manual (got the car second-hand and all local places charge an arm and a leg for one) I'm unable to find a way to unlock my doors.
I did find this post with seemingly the same problem, but I wanted to ask you guys if there were any easier solutions then jumping terminals (while I may be able to build a computer, I cringe at the thought of car electronics). I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
OK, so your car alarm was armed. You go back later, you press the FOB button, the horn does the two beeps (I think) and the lights do their flashing, but the doors don't unlock? Do you hear the door lock actuators trying to lock/unlock the doors? Sounds like something went haywire between the anti-theft alarm control module and the central locking control module. Both seem to be functional; you can make the lights flash and horn beep when you push the FOB buttons and you can unlock the doors with the centre console switch.
Here is some data I found:

Alarm Does Not Disarm With Front Door Locks
Ensure problem is with alarm system and not central locking system. If central locking system is okay, go to next step. If central locking system is not operating correctly, problem is withcentral locking system and not with anti-theft system.

So their is a direction to go with your search. Unfortunately not much info in the central locking article:

Central Locking
Check fuses No. 20 and 25 and replace as necessary. Ensure momentary voltage is present at control unit terminal No. 7 (Purple wire) when doors are being locked, and that momentary voltage is present at control unit terminal No. 8 (Blue/Brown wire) when doors are being unlocked. Check all connectors, wiring and grounds.

The alarm control module is located under the driver's seat (below the carpetting), and the central locking control module appears to be near the engine ECU (but closer to the passenger) to the right side of the passenger's footwell (US models).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems that the deadbolts became activated. My best guess is someone tried to break in, or someone who had a similar SAAB was mistaken and thought mine was theirs. Either way, all is well once again in the world of Keiron's car. I appreciate the help Slaab4life.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts