SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Giday, just a short question.

The fan control speed switch is operating intermittently in my 1996 900S. Sometimes the fan does not turn on at all, and sometimes the fan works then cuts out whilst driving.

Is this a quick fix by the Saab Shop, or is it a complicated and expensive fix? I thought I heard some time ago that the whole fan speed, heater and floor dorectional swich panel and internals have to be reoplaced in one go, costing $600??????

The balance of the air/con controls, heater and floor directional switches work very smooth and all the time. Just the fan speed control switch.

Has anyone had similar experience in fixing/replacing this switch?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Jason

·
Registered
179 Posts
I can't say I know about the switch in particular, but at the wrecker at least they have the whole ac panel as a single unit. I need a new knob and they didn't have any of them seperate to the whole lot.

That being said it's more than likely just some dirty contacts. I don't know off the top of my head how to get to it but by memory there's a couple of screws behind the direction and temp knobs, just pull them straight off and have a look. If you can get the unit out a bit of contact cleaner will more than likely bring the switch back to life, it worked for my stereo volume knob.

Andrew

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
If the switch checks out OK, Jason, it may be a *** resistor.. IIRC or AFAIK, there is at least one resistor by the fan and the cabin filter.., as far as I know..

Clean the switch and measure the resistor..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cabin Fan Controls

Thanks Earthworm & Corona,

I did have a quick play with the controls on my way home last thursday and yes I did see the screws as referenced.

I'll take them out this weekend and have a look & clean. Fail that, I'll attempt to locate and test the resistors.

Great advice for the home mechanic.

Cheers
Jason

1 - 4 of 4 Posts