SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened upon a craigslist listing for a 95 Saab 900 Vert w/64k 5sp turbo. The seller wants 1800. Now the car is not in my area; it is in MN. It looks like it has been well cared for. If I was to purchase the Saab, it would be sight unseen. The Saabs in my area are way overpriced for the condition that they are being sold in. IE 3800 for a 99 9-3 SE w/175k. I think the worst was 7995 for a 2000 w/109k. It seems like a really good deal; IO just wanna exercise caution that's all. Here is the listing.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/1759621737.html

Of course this would be replacing the 94 900S that just recently died a fiery death. Thanks for your help.

James

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
First of all, there is no timing belt on a turbo engine; but there is a timing chain. There is a serpentine belt on the water pump, power steering pump, alternator and tensioner pulleys. And, regular oil changes every two years, is way too long of an interval to change the oil. Twice a year is much more appropriate... Ron

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I was kinda wondering about the timing belt thing too. I was figuring that he meant the serpentine belt. The first thing I though was that the engine doesn't have a timing belt; only a timing chain. The two year thing kind has me wondering. I ran a car fax as well and the report shows that the last reported mileage was 52k in 2002. So if the seller is telling the truth, the mileage adds up. I am just trying to be cautious cause I'd rather wait and get a good example of another NG900 or 9-3 rather than buy something out of desperation just cause I need a car. ;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have talked with the seller, ran a carfax, and it all seems legitimate. Since the seller is in the military he has also agreed to ship the Saab to my front door as well for no additional charge. We would of course do the money transaction through ebay and I would have 3 days to look at the vehicle before he gets any money. It is a risk as anything used is. I dunno where I would find a car with that low of miles and condition for what he is asking. =)

·
Registered
134 Posts
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/ctd/1759569238.html

Just saying that I have seen this not only today on the NYC cl, but also a few weeks ago on the Boston site

I know he may be looking to ship so he may be legit and posting all over the country but tread carefully... The ad is the exact same, and if he is all about shipping that raises a red flag too (a very large, waving red flag)

Lots of people have been scammed in the past, maybe I am just being a debbie-downer but that car is also in fantastic shape for that price, check out the spoiler :eek:

**Also, with the timing belt issue, any owner of a turbo or 4cyl Saab would know that it is a timing chain** that you replace, we have no such belt...

·
Registered
353 Posts
I don't know James.

Last year, before I bought my car, I looked at '95 vert with a V6 with 108,000 and she was asking $2,800 to start with. That car does have a timing belt, and she had no clue when it was replaced. Pass. Besides, the car was a mess- low coolant on the SID, heat climbing past midway, busted corner lights, and it was driven by a teenager to boot. I was still looking at verts on EBay and she backed it down to $1,900. Still not worth it to me, but somebody bought it.

With this one, either they are not like us and know that it times with a chain, or call serp belts 'timing belts,' which even some car parts sites do. But the fact that its turning up on Craigslist all over the country? Freaky. And he's in the military? That's like a million dollar house on a lake in the picture! I don't know, maybe it's just me, I am a suspicious person, and being self employed, my mistrust meter is often in the red.

If I had extra to pick up a vert, I'd sell you mine, you could slap on Vikings and pretend it was the same car!

Marc

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL. Well I can't afford to take a chance cause I really don't have a ton of money right now. This add seems to be too good to be true. Who would sell their vehicle for next to nothing with low miles and ship it to you free of charge. I know that from my time in the Army, you can send a vehicle for almost no cost. However I am kinda skeptical. I may just have to wait on getting another Saab for now. I really loved my Saab. It was a great car and I'd still swear by it. However I gotta get a car. Most likely I will have to grab a cheap run around car for now. I am gonna look into getting my wheels back tomorrow. If everything works out, Good year will replace all the tires at no cost and the least I can do is sell the wheels and put the money towards the new Saab fund. I'll keep you all posted. I think the best thing to do is being cautious and wait for the right Saab to come along. ;) Patience is a virtue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts