SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know for sure if the 1995 900s 2.3L non-turbo uses OBD II or OBD I? I heard some late 1995 model cars were OBD II compliant. Just got a check engine light and I need to find out whats wrong.

My car sputters horribly! If I push on the gas quickly the motor bogs out especially on inclines. Just put a new radiator in and I am about to replace the thermostat and coolant temperature sensor. The sensor won't rise very high above Cold. Sometimes the upper radiator hose is hard as a rock too. Could it just be overheating? Occasionally while driving the engine will shut itself off (happened twice this month) even though the temp sensor says cold.

The engine runs great when its cold but soon as it warms up it starts sputtering and I lose a ton of horse power. If any more info is needed just ask. I really want to fix this issue, my motor is still in good shape.

Would really appreciate any help. Thanks!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Does anyone know for sure if the 1995 900s 2.3L non-turbo uses OBD II or OBD I? I heard some late 1995 model cars were OBD II compliant. Just got a check engine light and I need to find out whats wrong. This may be, check for OBD2 labels and tags and your manual.

My car sputters horribly! If I push on the gas quickly the motor bogs out especially on inclines. Just put a new radiator in and I am about to replace the thermostat and coolant temperature sensor.There are two of these. On on the end of the head above the transmission and the other on the inlet manifold. The sensor won't rise very high above Cold.You mean "the temperature gage" ??? Sometimes the upper radiator hose is hard as a rock too. Combustion gasses escaping into the coolant?? Could it just be overheating? Occasionally while driving the engine will shut itself off (happened twice this month) even though the temp sensor says cold. No possible relationship. I've never known an engine to shut down during overheating, unless its so bad that it locks up or seizes..
At minute 3 to 5 you should feel heat and the gage should be on warm; at minute 5 to 7 she should be hot and the t-stat should be opening...

The engine runs great when its cold but soon as it warms up it starts sputtering and I lose a ton of horse power . If any more info is needed just ask. I really want to fix this issue, my motor is still in good shape.

Would really appreciate any help. Thanks!
The sputtering will cause a power loss.
I think that either the fuel or the spark is shutting down. When this happens, you can
1. smell the exhaust for gasoline due to no spark
2. tap on the fuel pump , if it awakens, then she is due for replacement.
3. remove and check the plugs
4. check the cap and wires.
5. these links - http://www.saabcentral.com/~munki/technical/engine/electrical/cel_codes_motronic.htm
http://www.saabcentral.com/~munki/technical/engine/electrical/cel_codes_trionic.htm
Of course, assure that all of the service work is up to date...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Answer to the issue.

Found out all 1995 saab 900s models are OBD1 compliant.

Got it fixed. It was a Crankshaft position sensor (CMP Sensor) and a thermostat issue too. Apparently, it is tied into the timing of the car. That little sensor caused my car to idle roughly and stumble on acceleration. In fact the engine shutoff on me a couple times while driving. Some of the values the CMP sensor supplies to the CPU are also tied into the mixing of fuel when accelerating or decelerating.

Thought my coolant temp sensor was bad. Replacing the thermostat was the fix. The temp sensor is in close proximity to the thermostat and caused poor reading of the coolant temp.

If it acts up in the future it is pretty much isolated to the fuel system. I hope!

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts