SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Not sure if I already asked this question... If I did sorry for the duplicate post...

Im looking at buying a 1995 900 v6 with an automatic. and I was wondering what sorts of things I should look for as indications not buy. Does the v6 have any common issues etc... I've done some reading on the internet and there seems to be a real mix of people who either dont have any issues or the v6 is the worst car ever type stuff...

Thanks

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
i second that. my mechanic doesn't even service the v6 cars, and he said it's because the timing belt (not chain like in the saab 4cyl engines) wears out too easily and can slip meaning timing gets off meaning the engine basically tears itself apart. 4cyl sounds more saab-like, will always have the valvetrain in sync with the cylinders, and is guaranteed to be serviced by all good saab master mechanics. ;)

·
Registered
595 Posts
If you are an advanced DIY, or have deep pockets, then these cars are for you! These cars need attention regardless of 4 or 6cyl engines. Yes I agree that the 6cyl may require more loving from you, but hey that's why this site it here right?

I have both a 9-3 with a 2.0l 4cyl turbo, and a 900 with a 2.5l 6cyl NA, so nobody can yell at me and say I am biased.:D

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've got a 94 900s v6 and so far I like it picked it up dirt cheap it rides pretty good it's comfortable gets pretty good gas mileage and so far it has been reliable. Keep on top of the timing belt changes and it should be ok.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info... So from what I can gather then is every 30k the timming belt should be changed aside from that any other quirks ? This particular one is low millage and has had all the service done regularly. Does anyone have any idea about the cost of this timing belt ?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I think i am qualify to answer this, i have eight Saab's and Four are V6's, as the " if it ain't a 4 cyl turbo, it ain't a Saab" brigade, tend to knock the 6 cyl a lot ;) .
The timing belt issue, comes from the fact that the tensioner used to fail, NOT the belt, a new design has been available for years and are reliable, i change the belts every 50,000 miles and any competent mechanic can do the change, it is not that hard, certainly a lot easier than changing the chain on the 4cyl, you can get the Gates timing belt and tensions kit in the UK for £70 and i can send you diagrams of how to change the belt from the service manual if you need.
The other thing that goes on the V6 is the oil cooler, which sits in the V on the engine, again not that hard to change if you need to.
The V6 is a good engine for fuel economy and at 175Bhp, has the instant kick the Turbo's don't have as there is no turbo to spool up, hence no turbo lag, easily tunable to 210bhp and you can fit the 3.0 V6 like Raggy did for up to a 245bhp kick.:cheesy:, also the V6 has the reliable traction control system the 4 Cyl did not, see link below.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120383

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
I think the dealer changes the Timing belt free on up to 100K miles or 160000 KMs (but that's in the US I'm note sure about the belt changes in Canada).

What you need to replace also are the tensionner and timing sprockets as those fail and cause catastrophic engine failure.

There's a common problem with the cooler leaking between the head and the block and in those cases a replacement unit including a head gasket job is required.

Also check for timing cover leaks.

If it has low mileage and has the maintenance records and if it has no issues presently, I say go for it. Just keep an eye on those sensitive areas :cheesy:

The V6 is a reliable engine as long as you take care of those things :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Head gasket is not needed to do the oil cooler as the oil cooler sits in between the V and the heads do not come off, the only thing you need to take off is the inlet manifold and the fuel rail.

·
Registered
680 Posts
glad I have a 4cyl. I feel bad for the people that get into the V6 without getting this sort of knowledge first. Can you imagine buying a car with this motor and unknowingly having to do something like change a timing belt and tensioner etc, every 30k? I'd feel completely ripped off. Even though our cars require some DIY maintinence, somthing like a timing belt is a little beyond a lot of people, like me...

·
Registered
106 Posts
What was Saab's original service mileage for the timing belt? Most manufacturers who use interference engines with a belt are very up front about the interval at which it should be changed. It also seems like GM has been overly nice by doing free changes until the 100k mile /160k km mark.

There are many Kias and Hyundais out there going to the scrap heap because owners didn't follow the 59-60k mile belt service. 90% of the time they simply aren't worth repairing because depreciation on South Korean and Malaysian cars is so high.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
I think it was at 50K mile intervals. I think the mark was lowered by people seeing some of the timing belts blowing at that mark and slightly before that. The 30K mile is a precaution IIRC. But what they don't tell you is that it's not always the timimg belt's fault, leaks behind the timing cover make the belt oily and brittle and it could slip off or snap.

·
Registered
768 Posts
There have never been any problems with the belts, it was the tensioner that went on them snapping the belt.
The most troublesome car i have had was a 2.3FTP, i needed the timing chain/balancer shaft chain, head gasket and turbo changed between 100 and 140K, if a garage had done the work, i would have been £1200-£1400 or more, three belt changes on the V6 at a garage would be £600, so it is swings and roundabouts on the costs between the 4cyl and V6, i have four V6 and they have been the most reliable cars i have had as they have no turbo's to go wrong and all the associated boost and throttle body problems the 4cyl have.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks. Not familiar with V6s. I've never owned any sort of V6 in my life... I take it that the Saab V6 is another GM V6 design rebadged?

·
Registered
445 Posts
mryan55 said:
Thanks. Not familiar with V6s. I've never owned any sort of V6 in my life... I take it that the Saab V6 is another GM V6 design rebadged?
you would be correct.

I honestly think the v6 is a fine engine it just needs upkeep like anything else.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Well that V6 is as GM as any SAAB after 1993; The 2.5 engine is from the Opel / Vauxhaul platforms owned by GM as well

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Doing the maintenance and the timing chain or belt seems to be a problem for all cars with efficient engines.You should hear VW owners squeal when informed of belt changes at just 40K miles..... and what they are charged....:nono;

The answer may be, when 100% QC is achieved, the solenoid controlled valve, using 42 volts... ..or maybe we can revert to a valveless two stroke.... with exact computer controlled pulses of a gas charge..
No matter what, maintenance will always be necessary..

And the inspection of related parts is very important , the oil seals, the tensioner assembly, and the cover seal...then one reads of the incurring problems when a belt is changed blindly.....without any inspection.;oops:

·
Registered
523 Posts
saabchilten said:
i second that. my mechanic doesn't even service the v6 cars, and he said it's because the timing belt (not chain like in the saab 4cyl engines) wears out too easily and can slip meaning timing gets off meaning the engine basically tears itself apart. 4cyl sounds more saab-like, will always have the valvetrain in sync with the cylinders, and is guaranteed to be serviced by all good saab master mechanics. ;)
A Saab master mechanic can and will service a V6,why your mechanic wont work on a V6 is beyond me,its easier to work on than the turbo.
Don't think that the timing chain is infallible,the one on my old turbo snapped at just 71,000 miles,followed by the turbo at 77,000,the car had a full Saab service history and compared with my current V6 was a nightmare...

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
-shrug- he doesn't. there are actually a couple dead v6 motors sitting in a corner of the shop. it was too late for them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts