SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,
I'm a little over a month into owning a 1995 900s. 151k on the clock. The 2.3L motor is peppy and is very smooth at highway speed. As expected I'm discovering some relatively small problems that, when compounded, make me nervous. The 1st one on my list is a gas odor when driving- no leaks on the driveway. I plan on pulling the back seat to see if I can access the fuel pump. If its the fuel rail or injectors, I'm lost. I do see some evidence of leaks here and there under the plenum and around the fuel rail, but nothing fresh. I will be replacing the valve cover gaskets soon, as I see seepage along the passenger side.
Second is a rough idle. I removed and thoroughly cleaned the MAF and IAC yesterday. Also wiped out the throttle body as far as I could reach in. Made no difference. Rumbles n vibrates at stoplights, and rpms dip then recover when I go into reverse or back into drive. I hear the vapor canister or O2 sensor could be the culprit.
Last quick one is the dreaded water leak into the trunk. I replaced the collar around the filler neck inside the fuel door and found lots of rust under it. Coated the entire inner area around the neck with Flex Seal. Then pulled back the carpet in the trunk behind it and the top of the well (the hump around the filler neck) is so rusted, I pulled out enough flaked steel I can fit my hand through it. Yay. Even though that sucks, I think water runs down the inside hatch seal and pools in the rear corners of the trunk behind the tail lights. Musty carpet and the passenger side floor is starting to rust. Sorry I'm so long-winded. I've fallen madly in love with this car and I don't want to lose her. Or take out a second mortgage to fix her. Any tips are appreciated.

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
Good day,
I'm a little over a month into owning a 1995 900s. 151k on the clock. The 2.3L motor is peppy and is very smooth at highway speed. As expected I'm discovering some relatively small problems that, when compounded, make me nervous. The 1st one on my list is a gas odor when driving- no leaks on the driveway. I plan on pulling the back seat to see if I can access the fuel pump. If its the fuel rail or injectors, I'm lost. I do see some evidence of leaks here and there under the plenum and around the fuel rail, but nothing fresh. I will be replacing the valve cover gaskets soon, as I see seepage along the passenger side.
Gas odour only when driving means looking at all the fuel lines, the PCV system, and the fuel vapour recovery system. The PCV system is very simple on this engine: there should be a Y-shaped fitting in the back of the valve cover with one big hose and one small hose. Fuel lines you would have to inspect while the engine is running for any leaks. I would not be starting at the fuel pump.

Second is a rough idle. I removed and thoroughly cleaned the MAF and IAC yesterday. Also wiped out the throttle body as far as I could reach in. Made no difference. Rumbles n vibrates at stoplights, and rpms dip then recover when I go into reverse or back into drive. I hear the vapor canister or O2 sensor could be the culprit.
Might be the vapour recovery system. Is the Check Engine light on? Does it at least come on when the car is started?

Last quick one is the dreaded water leak into the trunk. I replaced the collar around the filler neck inside the fuel door and found lots of rust under it. Coated the entire inner area around the neck with Flex Seal. Then pulled back the carpet in the trunk behind it and the top of the well (the hump around the filler neck) is so rusted, I pulled out enough flaked steel I can fit my hand through it. Yay. Even though that sucks, I think water runs down the inside hatch seal and pools in the rear corners of the trunk behind the tail lights. Musty carpet and the passenger side floor is starting to rust. Sorry I'm so long-winded. I've fallen madly in love with this car and I don't want to lose her. Or take out a second mortgage to fix her. Any tips are appreciated.
If the carpet on the bottom inside of the tailgate gets wet, that might be the hatch glass leaking--happened to me. You have to inspect the hatch weatherstrip carefully to make sure there are no tears. The taillights are another candidate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would not be starting at the fuel pump.
Not to hijack the thread, but I also have a similar issue since replacing the fuel pump last year in my 96 900se. Now, especially when I've just filled the (massive 17 gallon) tank there is a major fuel smell inside the car. I replaced the pump by cutting open a hatch underneath the rear seats to access the pump, and ever since then I have this fuel smell. It's present even with the car off, but is overpowering when the tank has been freshly filled.

·
Registered
18,394 Posts
Pull the interior panels off where you suspect the leak is. Have someone run flowing water from a garden hose over the back end while you lay inside there and look for the source of the leaks.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but I also have a similar issue since replacing the fuel pump last year in my 96 900se. Now, especially when I've just filled the (massive 17 gallon) tank there is a major fuel smell inside the car. I replaced the pump by cutting open a hatch underneath the rear seats to access the pump, and ever since then I have this fuel smell. It's present even with the car off, but is overpowering when the tank has been freshly filled.
Did you replace the large o-ring between the top of the pump assembly and the tank? If not it stretches when removing the retaining nut and then wont seal and seat properly on reassembly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
No, I didn't replace any o-rings. Any recommendations on places to pick one up? If it's not too expensive, I could use some emergency funds to get it. I don't like having my kids in the car if I'm going to be driving for any length the way it is right now.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PCV reply to EdT...

Gas odour only when driving means looking at all the fuel lines, the PCV system, and the fuel vapour recovery system. The PCV system is very simple on this engine: there should be a Y-shaped fitting in the back of the valve cover with one big hose and one small hose. Fuel lines you would have to inspect while the engine is running for any leaks. I would not be starting at the fuel pump.

Might be the vapour recovery system. Is the Check Engine light on? Does it at least come on when the car is started?

If the carpet on the bottom inside of the tailgate gets wet, that might be the hatch glass leaking--happened to me. You have to inspect the hatch weatherstrip carefully to make sure there are no tears. The taillights are another candidate.
No check engine light, only when everything lights up upon starting. Funny you mention the PCV. I took a pic...

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/s/...ttd&realattid=1469214963835863040-1&safe=1&zw

the nipple that the Y-connector pops into was very loose in the valve cover so I took it out, wiped it down then put a bit of automotive sealant (hi-temp tested) around it. Could this be the entire odor issue?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd also love to hear about the PCV nipple. Mine's loose as well, not gonna fall out, but doesn't seem like it should be wobbly. The thick hose going back towards the metal line into the engine is also completely unsecured. It doesn't seem to move on its own, but seems too loose and I recently bought some clamps to put on but haven't put them on yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't think you can post actual pics here, just links. I used my own webhosting space for my image hosting needs, but you could use any number of image sharing sites to host a picture. Google Drive or Dropbox might work as well.

·
Registered
18,394 Posts
No check engine light, only when everything lights up upon starting. Funny you mention the PCV. I took a pic...

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/s/...ttd&realattid=1469214963835863040-1&safe=1&zw

the nipple that the Y-connector pops into was very loose in the valve cover so I took it out, wiped it down then put a bit of automotive sealant (hi-temp tested) around it. Could this be the entire odor issue?
Two ways to post a pic here: When posting, click the icon for an "attachment". You will be prompted to upload the attachment. It then shows up as a small thumbnail photo people can expand, OR: Post the photo on an outside photo hosting service. Click the icon for inserting a photo and put the URL in the box that pops up. That type of photo will show up full size in the post (so resize it appropriately before posting).

You probably need a new gasket for the PCV. But, if you sealed it, that's a good enough test. I haven't seen many people replacing them for your fuel smell problem. Usually they have a broken connector or hose. Worth a shot though.

Unless someone cut a hole in the trunk floor to replace the pump, it's very unlikely to be the pump giving you the smell. There's some access to the wires back there but it's usually sealed well enough that it doesn't smell. But, if someone did the fuel pump recently it's worth a look. Just take out the bottom of the back seat... look for evidence of recent work.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
here's the pcv pulled out of the valve cover...

The rubber stopper or nipple in the valve cover was very loose, and you can see in this pic and the one i posted earlier, stuff (fuel?) has been leaking around it. I picked up a yellow tube of "Seal All" at AutoZone and dabbed some around it after wiping down the area. The hose popped out of it pretty easily, although it's made to so you can access the cover.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd like to download a schematic or open diagram of the B235i engine to study and learn my way around. Been searching online and haven't found anything practical yet. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
18,394 Posts
here's the pcv pulled out of the valve cover...

The rubber stopper or nipple in the valve cover was very loose, and you can see in this pic and the one i posted earlier, stuff (fuel?) has been leaking around it. I picked up a yellow tube of "Seal All" at AutoZone and dabbed some around it after wiping down the area. The hose popped out of it pretty easily, although it's made to so you can access the cover.

We can't see photos in your gmail account.

·
Registered
435 Posts
For photos, try Photobucket, create an account, host the photos there and then paste the link into your post/response.

Two things regarding the rough idle. The PCV nipple and rubber grommet are very sensitive and if they have an air leak or crack, you will have erratic idle and pulsing. The kit from eEuroparts to replace the nipple and grommet is around $3. Start with the cheap stuff first.

The IAC valve on my '95 900 SE is also a bit funky and acts up only when the A/C is on. Without the A/C, idle is normal and smooth. Does your car have any differences in idle with A/C on vs. with it off? If you have automatic climate control, switch it to "econ" which will disable the A/C from coming on.

Another cheap fix for fuel odors is the gasket around your gas cap. Does it still have one, and if so, is it hard/cracked/etc.?

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
No check engine light, only when everything lights up upon starting. Funny you mention the PCV. the nipple that the Y-connector pops into was very loose in the valve cover so I took it out, wiped it down then put a bit of automotive sealant (hi-temp tested) around it. Could this be the entire odor issue?
I'd also love to hear about the PCV nipple. Mine's loose as well, not gonna fall out, but doesn't seem like it should be wobbly. The thick hose going back towards the metal line into the engine is also completely unsecured. It doesn't seem to move on its own, but seems too loose and I recently bought some clamps to put on but haven't put them on yet.
My guess is that the rubber bushing in the valve cover is torn. The fix is to get it out and replace it. I went to a local dealer and got a Saab OEM. As long as the Y fitting isn't cracked, it should sit in there tightly. Then you just need two PCV-rated hoses, a bit one and a small one, running to the throttle body.

Unless you have a lot of blowby in the engine, I don't think a loose/leaky PCV system will create a big odour of gasoline. Crankcase vapours smell pretty disgusting, but not like gasoline.

·
Registered
27 Posts
No, I don't think my PCV system is the root of my issue. I mentioned it because I feel mine is far looser than I should be and it was being asked about by the OP. My gas issue is very likely the O-ring that I didn't replace when I replaced the pump, and I'll have to see about ordering that when I can find the money I need to order it on a card.

On the PCV thing though, how do you remove the bushing? Does it just pop out with a little elbow grease, or is there some extra procedure (this being a Saab and all)?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yeah, just pop it out with your fingers. If it breaks apart and chunks fall back in the cam cover, you'll have to open the cover up to clean those bits out. Mine had hardened up but came out in one piece just fine.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts