SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy yall -

Does my 1995 900s have an OBD1 or OBD2 code port under the steering wheel? I think its OBD1... either way it isn't working and I need it inspected like yesterday... any tips/info would rock. I saw a few threads about chkng the pins and/or replacing the port. Not sure I could handle that - my soldering gun skills were never too great.

·
Registered
17,814 Posts
Pretty sure it's ODBI in 1995. The changeover was in 1996.

What state are you in? Do they actually check OBDI cars for inspection? It wasn't very standard, and most states don't hook up until OBDII. You might want to look into that.

As for the pins... they just get pushed back in the connector. So, you remove the two scews that hold the connector to the under-dash, and then futz with getting any pins that are pushed out back into place.

If by "it's not working" you mean that it's not able to be read by a device, it may just be OBDI incompatibility.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think mine in my 1994 900S is an OBD2.

They hooked it up at Vato-zone, but couldn't lift any codes. I need to check my wired to see if they got shoved back into the connector.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in good ol' NY. No read on the port, no sticker. Odd that the last post said his 1994 is OBDII... maybe was upgraded before you got it? Oh, and how difficult would it be to replace the I with an OBDII? Just splice it on or way more involved? Just curious, made an appointment at my local indie for next week.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I also have a 1995 900S (convertible) and although it has the pins under the dash that fit the OBD2 connector, the $50 reader that I bought cannot recognise it. So don't assume that just changing the connector fitting will fix your problem. Chances are you need the original Tech II thingamijog.

Most of the cheap Tech2 software now widely available (like mine) only goes back to 96/98. Something I should have considered when buying! ;oops:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oops

Scratch that. I did manage to finally communicate with it. After 20 attempts...
I'm in the same boat...i know it was a few years ago, but do you recall doing anything special or different to get it to connect and read?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts